Complaint: Something has to change with some of you!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by slooksterPSV, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Something has got to change with some of your guys' attitude. I've noticed that a lot of the threads I go into you say things that just aren't answers, but things that make you look like complete asses. Such as the thread I just replied to: every other post was "stop whining", well he was asking a question and complaining. OK, thats all, nothing else. You guys don't need to butt in and say "stop whining" sounds more like you're whining. This is a complaint thread btw. No names are going to be posted unless it continues up.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

While you make an understandable point, I feel that very often the reason those responses are posted is because the complaint has been voiced all too often and is not constructive. On these forums, we try to keep things constructive and I think some of the members feel that the "they haven't updated the PowerBooks yet and I'm disappointed" threads have gotten way out of hand.

EDIT: After seeing this thread I totally understand your point and am disgusted at the manner in which some of the members are behaving. They took somebody who clearly was upset about something and did not really know the solution and while there was no solution, they basically ridiculed him about not having researched his purchase better. I don't think that is acceptable behavior and I do concur with your resolution.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Are these long time members or newer members?

Woof, Woof - Dawg

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

so the guy comes to a site full of Apple fanatics, asks for help doing something unsupported, can't do it, and instead of thanking the guy for explaining it, he just responds with "that sucks- This powerbook is useless i shoulda got another ibook and saved 500 bucks". While I can see being disappointed if you saw a hack and thought it would work, only to find out it won't, telling a bunch of Appleheads the Powerbook (that many here own) is "useless" because it can't do something it's not supposed to be able to do, you've got to expect that's going to get some razz. I think that's a problem that doesn't get brought up often: people that don't contribute to the community, coming in and expecting us to be free tech support, without even being polite. Read through tens or hundreds of threads like this, over a period of time, eventually you're not as polite to them, either.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

You make a point too. I'll tell you something - I think that there were a lot of faults in this thread and there are many faults in others. I don't really know entirely where I stand on this issue but I feel that there are certain situations in which MacRumors members of all statuses could be nicer to each other.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

We've got 54,000+ members and over 1.5 MILLION posts - there are bound to be some members or some threads that turn a little nasty from time to time. The thread to which you are referring is nothing, as far as I'm concerned - especially with the original post coming from a regular who's been perusing these boards for almost 3 years on a topic of hacking PB graphic firmware.

I agree that it's important to maintain civility on the boards, and I think that in general we do a significantly better job than a number of other forums in which I've participated.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Completely agree!

Cannot believe a thread was started complaining about complainers! :rolleyes:

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed, i guess it is a good thing that i haven't been hanging out here as often as i used too, darn work and summer, its an internet community people....

sure peace love happiness and all that jazz is great, but it doesnt always happen, does that mean that we should be jerks to one another? no, but it does happen, its life

11. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Cry me a river. Waaah! Waaah!

I'm kidding of course. :)

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I still consider myself a new-comer to MR, but enjoy the diversity and relative freedom (vs. micro-managed/quick to censure moderating) which is granted to those who post. Other than requiring each poster to take a self imposed examination of their present mood before posting, it seems it's understood that we're all learners within a community in here, regardless of rank and pecking order and, with that each poster and post should grant the benefit of dignity one toward the other. Any one of us would confess to having bad days in the office/classroom when we're seemingly out of sync with the ebb and flow. Just as it's somewhat naive to believe "there are no such things as stupid questions/comments", it would also hold that from time to time, one will get an undeserved "swat" from another poster whether or not the motive was intentional. That's just part of the dynamics of a learning community. A bit of advice when that happens would be, just shut off your computer and go do something else. To come immediately back with retort and fix it now tactics more times than not degenerates in to the proverbial tar baby and br'er rabbit scenario.
    X

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Meh. To get world peace you have to shoot the troublemakers. To get forum peace, ban random usernames.

14. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

15. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I don't post often, as I come here mainly for macbytes. However, I have noticed a bit of a decline in the decorum of many members (mainly the newer ones..not to generalize, but that is how it appears to me). For better or worse though, MR is still has the best, most coherant forums of any site I've been at.

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Wh0 4r3 j00 insul1ng, *****?

:p

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was just thinking that. I <3 irony. Especially considering the poster he's referring to created another thread about the purchase just a few hours later:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=133368

I agree that we have to be civil, and if things get out of hand that's what Mods are for. But I didn't see anything wrong with those responses. Saying This powerbook is useless is (as I said) flamebait. Judging by the original posters next post, I'd say he took it better than slooksterPSV apparently.

(don't worry, I'm not going to hide behind free speech... but you know I'm thinking it)

18. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Kids huh? No respect for their elders.

I sort of agree but its just down to the law of averages. The more people that join the more idiots that post. Wish most of them would stay at SpyMac :) .
    Are we now in a thread that is complaining about a complainer whos complaining about complainers? It's too warm ...can't think...we Brits can't deal with +30 degree weather...melts

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.