COMPLETE customization beyond the normal Apple Store options....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by onlydroops, Sep 3, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    I'll be a buying a 1.8 G5 and I'm trying to save as much money as possible. The thing is, I don't need the 160GB HD and I'm wondering if there is anyway/anywhere I can get it with a 80 or even 40GB HD. I'm also trying to get one with no RAM installed so that I can buy from Crucial and save a few more dollars.

Anyone ever contacted Apple about this or know if this is possible at all?

I know that I could go with the 1.6 G5 and get the 80GB HD and less RAM but I want the future expandability and faster bus and all that :)
  2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    You have to get some RAM, they won't ship it to you without it.

Try talking to the guys at - b2tm used to work there and they usually have great deals.

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Most likely NO, since any other company would end up having to buy a standard PowerMac and gut it. But people most likely wouldn't want to pay Apple prices for memory, HDs, video -- so the savings wouldn't be too much.

I think there's a thread on this at ....

Better G5 customization places?

There's alway selling the stuff on eBay...
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    Actually I forgot to mention that I wanted to buy from Apple since I'll be using the ADC discount. I shouldn't have asked where else to buy, my fault.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    I think you're right Sun Baked.

And selling on eBay is a great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that since I sell on eBay regularly.

It may not even be worth the trouble and it might be nice to have that storage space anyway.

I can get a 1.8 G5, Combo drive, ati 9600, for about $2300 WITH the 17" display using the ADC discount.

Still a damn good price.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2003
    Shanghai, China
    You could also save some money by getting a non-Apple display... There's some nice 17" TFTs out there, and I am not at all convinced that the Cinema Display is the best of them. But it has one of the highest prices... Also, if you have a PC it is nice to have a TFT that has DVI+VGA or 2xDVI so you can share the display between the two computers.
  7. macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2003
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Wow. I read the first few sentences of your post up to where you said you'd be fine with a 40GB HD, and I thought I posted again (I posted this topic). I was scared. :p