Complete DVD Backup Tutorial

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kev4e15@msn.com, Jun 19, 2006.

1. kev4e15@msn.com macrumors newbie

kev4e15@msn.com

Ok, I'm new to this forum and hope this is in the right spot. Anways i thought if you guys could make a somewhat detailed tutorial for backing up legally purchased DVDs and then burning them to a DVD, would greatly help many people on this forum including myself. Please include all different apps used and even possibly links. I've downloaded most of all the suggested programs mentioned in past threads but would like a little more detail. Thanks a lot, kevin

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That guide should be all you need. If you have further questions, just post them here.

Another handy app you might want to look into is VisualHub, from the creators of iSquint. :cool:

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    You don't need a complete guide..

You need two apps.

1-Mactheripper-free

2-Toast 7-not free

Put em together, and you're set.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Always nice to give a guy some option though too... :eek: ;)

But yes, thast is the method I use 99% of the time as well.... :cool:

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Or you can buy DVD Fast Copy and all you need to do is launch Fast DVD Copy, insert your DVD, press copy, wait, insert blank DVD, wait, done.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Even better! :D

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Though the stability and options with Fast DVD Copy are horrid.

The way I go: Mac The Ripper + Popcorn. Baddabing it be done!

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, and now that Popcorn functionality has been integrated into Toast 7, that works as well!

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I must add to this, i've been getting email about Toast 7 being $49 for a direct download from Roxio every other day for two weeks now. With that said I'm starting to wonder if an update/upgrade is around the corner.
    I use MTR>DTOX>Toast on my iBook since I'm not ready to move it to my Intel iMac just yet. This way hasn't failed me yet so I just place the iBook between the dvd totem poles and burn :D

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Interesting, I didn't know it had been integrated. Thanks for the info!

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No worries. For the record, I believe it is only Popcorn 1.0 which has been integrated - supposedly Popcorn 2.0 has some added features which may or may not be in Toast 7. Just so you know. :cool:

13. kev4e15@msn.com thread starter macrumors newbie

kev4e15@msn.com

Thanks a ton for the link and all thefeedback Unfortunately i didn't see the guide section. That should be very helpful. Thanks a lot guys, kevin

BTW, just realized my log in name was automaticaly put as my e-mail adress, and i didn't catch it.:confused: O well

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have the latest version of Fast DVD Copy on my MacBook Pro and I can't fault it at all, it does exactly what it says it will, and just works for me. If you say you have issues with it I'm not doubting you the older versions seem to have some bad reviews on VersionTracker.

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

That's correct. Popcorn 2 gives you more control over exactly what pieces you include on the DVD you are burning (audio tracks, subtitles, extras). It also has the ability to author content for the video iPod and PSP. Toast 7 has the exact functionality of Popcorn 1.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sounds about right. The iPod content feature in Popcorn 2.0 sounds handy, however you can't always just get iSquint (free) to take care of that.

17. kev4e15@msn.com thread starter macrumors newbie

kev4e15@msn.com

Thanks for the help. I've got a couple of situations where i could use some help.
    1st situation: i've got a full length movie with menu and all with about 7 or so GB. I went to compress it with DVD2oneX2 but it said that the selected file was not of the right format. Any answers to this?
    2nd situation: i've got a movie that is the feature only and it is under 4.7GB. I went to burn it with toast and everything seemed to show up but it did say 4 files could not be loaded because of an unsuported file format. Hopefully everything works out here bucause it looks like it should

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, kevin

Also, toast seems like it's been "multiplexing" while i'm trying to burn it for quite awhile. How long should toast be able to burn something under 4.7GB. Thanks