Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Ball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2001
I'm running 10.2.1 on DP 800
I tried to empty the trash today, after a year of not having to switch the machine off by the mains as used to be the case with OS 7-9 here I was again. Complete screen freeze and reach down for the mains switch. Reboot try to empty trash complete screen freeze, no kernel panic, just completely frozen. Couldn't use force quit at all.

There are two things I've done since yesterday. Downloaded and installed the updater for Office that stops it crashing under 10.2
and downloaded and installed updater for Norton System works 2.0 so that it will work under 10.2.

Anybody else in a similar position or can give me a clue as to what is going on. Are these related issues or has something else happened.
The machine continues to work providing I don't empty the trash.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Perhaps there's a dodgy file in your trash that is causing the crash, try running Trash It to empty your trash completely then give it a shot emptying things normally again.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I had this problem constantly with 10.1.x on my B/WG3. Before anyone starts it had 768MB of ram so that is not the problem. I personally think that it is very likely to be SystemWorks I recently sold my copy because it just didn't integrate with OSX very well.

One thing to try though is after any installation you should fix permissions.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Not only does norton not work on either a mac or pc. but it then proceeds to try and help you ....... stuff up your system. Then because it has helped you soooo much, it wont let you uninstall it. An added bonus is your now tracked over the net for the rest of that computers life.

A nice little tip from the good people at symantec.

Mike Ball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2001
Completer freeze - back to OS 7-9

Thanks for all the help. Norton seems to be the culprit. There were four items in the trash can after the upgrade. Trash it couldn't do it. Machine kept on freezing as before. Take the norton items out of the trash and everything works fine.

If I were to try the permissions idea what do you suspect I'd need to set them to, to make it work.

Again thanks for the help.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Norton anything is a big bunch of garbage. A recipe for disaster.

Take it off your computer, you don't need it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by edesignuk
Have you tried logging in as root and then emptying trash? As root you shouldn't have any problems with file permissions.

that was exactly what I was going to suggest. I had a file or two that wouldn't delete and had to go in through the terminal and do a rm on the files. If you haven't created a root account on your machine, you'll need to. Do a search on the threads, its been discussed how to do it here (that's where I learned about it and I don't know how to do it off the top of my head)

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
To enable root do this:
  • Open Terminal
  • Type 'sudo passwd root'
  • Enter your password
  • Enter a new root password
  • Re-enter the new root password
Good luck :)

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Get the program Xray, it's very VERY good at deleting things, and prevents you from having to log in as root. It's on versiontracker.com, and when you get it, just go to "File.." "Empty Trash" once you have the file selected. Cheers!

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
maybe norton filesaver? I know i had NUMEROUS problems with norton filesaver in 9.x, so I disabled it and got rid of it

NAV on XP works pretty good though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.