Complete Mac OS X Meltdown

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac 2005, Nov 27, 2005.

1. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

My iBook just had a complete meltdown, something I'd only expect with a candle. Everything I've come to expect on my Mac from the past 18 months is gone, replaced only by the stock configuration.

Everything on my hard drive is still here as best as I can tell. But I'm going to have to reconfigure the Mac from top-to-bottom, for no reason, other than bad luck.

Rant over....

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

u mean it just gave in on you?....strange

Bless

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can you explain more about what happened? If all of your files are there and your kernel files became corrupted or somesuch, forcing you to reinstall the OS, you can copy the library folders back from the archive and get all of your settings back.

It sounds terrible, but I'm just trying to help. If it's off-base, sorry in advance.

4. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You should have gotten a PowerBook. Polycarbonate (the iBook shell) melts at a puny 375-500 degrees F, whereas the Aluminum in the PowerBook shell can handle up to 1220 degrees F before going from GUI to gooey.

6. mac 2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Funny you should say that.

I just found my "Library" folder "buried" within another folder. I moved it back where it should be. Restarted. All appears normal now.

I'm unclear on whether someone was messing with my computer or if the fates were just messing with me.

In either respect, thanks for your concern.