Complete newbie question about Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trishw2006, Jun 19, 2006.

1. trishw2006 macrumors newbie

I will be purchasing a Macbook in the near future and was wondering about the Airport Express wireless. I've been a PC only owner but have used Mac's in school a little bit, so I'm not completely clueless. When using the airport internal wireless can it be used on any wireless signal or do you need an airport base station to get a signal? This might be a dumb question but I'm somewhat a newbie. Thanks.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Any wireless device should work. Most are not guaranteed to work with OS X but do.

I have two linksys routers (one wireless) and an airport express (just for AirTunes).

3. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

It should work for any wireless network using 802.11b or 802.11g. :)

EDIT: Also, Airport Express is a type of Apple wireless router (+ printing + music), and Airport Extreme is the wireless card in your MB that let's you access wireless signals.

4. trishw2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so at college it will be able to pick up most wireless signals even if i don't have a router myself?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Pretty much any non-secured signal within range, yes - what you'd get with a similar PC laptop.

6. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

I would just add that most college campuses do have secured wireless signals, but they'll give you the info/software you need to connect. Enjoy! :D