complete novice needs help opening downloads iMac Bondi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sachasteve, Dec 6, 2005.

1. sachasteve macrumors newbie

Hello - great forum!

Three days ago I purchased an iMac (Bondi blue) PC G 350 mhz and I love it. It was bought because my main PC (Windows XP) is getting fixed and I require a backup PC- it is my only communication with the outsideworld. I am very happy with this iMac as all I need it for is to access the internet, however, I have Internet Explorer 5.1 (Mac) and I have found I cannot operate my Paypal account (I use Firefox for my main PC).

I have just downloaded Netscape 7 and I have found I cannot open the file on my desktop - the file extension is mach0.dmg.gz.

Can someone please advise me how to open this file, and what software I may need. Although I am completely new to Macs, I am computer literate.

Gratefully
    Sacha

2. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

You can use stuffit. Im not sure which os version your running but go here to find out which one works: http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html

'Stuffit expander' is the free version of the software.

3. sachasteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Hi,
    Thank you for the link, and your fast answer, I have downloaded Stuffit and I am embarrassed to say I cannot open that file either. I am operating OS 9.1 - I should have said.

When the Stuffit download completes (on my dial-up Modem), it appears I have downloaded a code web page, as when I click on the download I am taken to an HTML page - or so it seems. The file is named StuffitEXP10.dmg.

I feel like a fish out of water as I am so experienced with Windows, however, I wont't give up, yet.

I appreciate your help, and I will keep trying to install Netscape.
    Best wishes
    Sacha :)

4. sachasteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Additionally

When I double click the Stuffit file in the Download Manager box another dialogue box appears, with File Name, Location Address, etc, what do I do next? I have tried Reloading.
    I am completely stumped :p
    Thank you
    Sacha

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

.dmg (disc image) files will only open in osx. you need stuffit for os9
    http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/download.html

you will also need to update your os to os9.2
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288

on a broader note you should probably update your operating system to osx tiger. os9 is an increasingly old os and support is dwindling daily. the original file you wish to open will never be able to open in os9 due to my first statement that .dmg files will only open in osx.

6. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

At the risk of confusing the OP — technically you're wrong. The hard-to-find MacOS 9 app Disk Copy 6.4 will open .dmg files under OS 9. (Won't help you much if the contents of the .dmg file is an OS X application though)

7. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I stand corrected

8. sachasteve thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand :)

Thank you for the help I have received, it has helped me enormously.

Now I know what the problems are, I will work towards correcting them, thanks again

In the meantime I am reinstalling Windows XP :rolleyes: and as soon as that is done, I will tackle my iMac. At least I won't be bored. :p
    Best wishes
    Sacha:

9. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Definitely get OS X put on that iMac at some point. You won't regret it. Panther would be fine. (10.3)