Complete WORD to QUARK formatting?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikebatho, Mar 18, 2005.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Greater Manchester UK
    I have a document that has basically been completed in Word. I need to get it into Quark exactly as it looks on the word page, with all boxes & tables.

I can't figure out how to do this, and don't want to have to re-artwork the whole thing.

It's at such a finished stage, If I could save the word pages as eps files & just drop them into Quark, that would be ideal. Save as web page won't do it, as it needs to be print quality.

Any suggestions...? :mad:
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Can you print the Word file to Postscript and then dump it into Distiller?

Errr, do you have Acrobat Distiller?

Getting a version 1.3 PDF (Acrobat 4) out of the word document would be your best bet but keep an eye on any RGB colours in the Word document -- make sure they're all converted to CMYK if you're using 4-colour.
  3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    You could try printing the MS word files to PDF. Then importing the PDFs into Quark, one page at a time.

Can't remember if Quark supports PDF. Maybe import into Illustrator, then convert to EPS.
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Quark 6.x will take PDFs but only v1.3 ones reliably.

You can try producing a PDF straight from OSX but font embedding may be problematic which is why Distiller is the most reliable tool here and Adobe PDF the best printer description.

How many pages in the document and what version of Word are you using and on what platform? Are you taking the Word document from a PC onto the Mac?
  5. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Greater Manchester UK

That works brilliantly!!

It might vary when I need to do something with photos, but for time wasting forms & crap like that, it works like a dream!!

Go to print from word, select print as PDF...

open a text window in Quark, drop it in & print. Perfect & simple.

Thanks a lot, guys.
  6. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Can quak read RTF files? Is do, save the WOrd document as a .rtf and then import it into Quark. you may lose some formatting, but it ma be the best conversion you will get.
  7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Just keep an eye on the fonts and if they're embedded in the PDF. It'll print OK from your machine because you have the fonts on the local machine but if you're sending the job out then there's a small chance that there may be a problem.

Open the PDF in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader and check the PDF properties just to be double-sure.