Component Cable for Wii - Buy or not?

Discussion in 'Games' started by LastLine, Nov 26, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

So I've got a 26" Samsung 720p HDTV sathere waiting for my Wii to be released in Europe.

Now I'm hearing mixed reports so from anyones experience - difference between the composite's 480i, and the components 480p. Worth the money or not?

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Worth the money. I can't say from experience, but it seems that the better the graphics you can get the Wii, is worth it.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I dont think its worth it. There isnt much difference between 480i/p, if the cables came with the system i would have used them, but for $30 i think its a waste of money. You can do 16:9 with the composite. My friend was able to get a set of the component cables, we have the same 52" TV and used the same game, neither of us could see any huge difference in the game (Zelda) using the component cables. If it were the difference between 480i and 720i/p i would say its worth it but from 480i to 480p we were barely able to even notice a picture quality difference.

Ed

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Eh, I'd say get them. The composite cable is interlaced and fuzzy. 480p over component is definitely better. Only reason I'd hold off is if you're strapped for cash, cause $30+ is a tad much for some cables.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Check your leads, i have no fuzziness over composite. For the money its not worth it, 480p doesnt buy you much. I would put money on it that you wouldnt be able to tell the difference without really trying to find a flaw.

Ed

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Well, I don't mean there's actually noise in the picture. It's quite normal looking. Exactly what I expect from composite. But in comparison, I think component is crisper looking (also brighter in PS mode).

7. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

although you won't notice a staggering difference between i&p unless you get close up. the fact that component has less compression on the video signal should give you better clarity of colours and contrast. the difference won't be as significant as a rez change but if you can i would.

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Thats sizable? heh i honestly don't think there is a difference worth the $30 needed to upgrade.

Ill stick with composite until a 3rd party makes a better priced version. There really isn't a noticeable difference.

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You are kidding right? There is clearly a clarity difference. I see the same thing on the 360 as well, going from composite to vga or component makes a huge difference in clarity and obviously for the 360 there are resolution advantages.

Even so, the difference between the two for me is pretty noticeable. Plus if there wasn't any noticable difference why even hold out for 3rd party cables? Just stick with composite and keep your cash....

BTW There are already 3rd party cables that are pretty cheap. 6 bucks and some change cheap.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/25/3rd-party-wii-component-cables/

11. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I got the component cable when it came out. There is a huge difference in picture. Its worth it and don't compain about the cable price. My HDMI six months ago cost a lot and I use them with my PS3 now.

12. MacBook Pro macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Virtual Console games and the Wii's main menu run in 480p? That is kind of important to me.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

No they wont, also if you have a widescreen TV you will need to set it to the 4:3 expanded mode or whatever your manufacturer calls it otherwise in 16:9 standard the image will be all stretched out to hell.

Anyone that says there is a huge difference between 480i and 480p is dreaming, look at the resolution charts available online and you will see how minimal the difference is.

On another note that GPU is more than capable of 720i, maybe even 1080i one wonders if Nintendo will release a firmware update later, heck they could even charge points for it and i bet people would pay. Component cables can more than support 1080i, heck they can even support 1080p. It amazes me how clueless people are when it comes to this subject.

Ed

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

There isn't a resolution difference but there is clearly a picture quality difference between the two.

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The charts will account for sharpness differences also, being that it component cables you will get a fraction more sharpness, but nothing to write home about, and it surely isn't worth $30. Its still a SD signal at the end of the day. Buy an additional controller, or put it toward something that will make a difference like a game. That said, if Nintendo ever did do a firmware update allowing for even 720i i would grab a set of cables until then its been technically proven that it is just a waste of money.

Ed

16. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Not a huge difference between 480i and 480p, no. A noticable difference between two signal types (composite vs component)? You bet. Composite vs S-Video vs Component isn't about getting higher resolution per se... but better detail resolution on the signal. Because of how Composite video works, it has difficulties resolving fine details with lots of contrast changes, giving images a muddier or blurrier look to them.

Now if you wanted to say that S-Video vs Component wouldn't make a difference for the Wii, I would probably agree... but Composite is old enough that any recent source actually outputting 480i is better done justice using S-Video or Component.

17. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

On engadget and joystiq, they showed a 3rd party component cable set. I can't remember the name, but they were being sold for $7 USD.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

$17 with shipping. Before you get everyone too excited :eek: like I first did...

19. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Sorry. :eek:
    Still, it's better than 30+. :D

I wonder when these will be available, and how many there are going to be coming to the U.S.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh god yes, if I had a component TV I'd snap up them cheap ones soon as they're out. But... there has to be a 3rd party VGA adapter out soon :eek:

21. spjonesi macrumors member

I am very picky about graphics and clarity etc, so I may be more sensitive than most (or be seeing things) but my eyes tell me that the component cables that I got before the Wii release (ordered overnight from Nintendo abt two weeks ago:) ) are sharper than the composite ones. I tried both, and I'll stick with those.

Your eyes may or may not agree.

joneSi

22. Vster macrumors 6502

Just got mine in today and I noticed a pretty sizable difference. Much more clear and crisp. :)

23. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I second that notion! The component cables isn't just about pushing pixels and progressive scan - it's also about reducing dot crawl, bleeding and other video impurities that can be alleviated with a simple S-video cable if not component.

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well looking at that link with the comparisons, I would say it's definitely worth the $30 cable, just as it was worth it for the GameCube component cable.

But component cables can be really dependent on the cable quality... so I'd worry about buying a cheap 3rd party cable. I had a cheap standard component cable on a DVD player and it looked worse the S-Video! Heck, it looked worse then AV! Just keep that in mind when you find a "good deal" on a component cable! :D

25. MacBook Pro macrumors newbie

According to here the games do actually run in 480p, so I'm not exactly sure which is true.

Back on topic, after owning the Gamecube component cables, I'd personally pick them up for the Wii. At least on my CRT HDTV, the lack of color bleeding and the additional color clarity makes it worth it.