Composition of macrumors membership by user title

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ozaz, Jan 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I see on the forums main page that there are currently ~780,000 macrumors members!

Purely out of curiosity, what's the composition in terms of user titles? i.e. what percentage is newbie, member, regular....etc?

Can a forum admin publish this?

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

At the top end, you can see that there are fewer than 50 posters above a "G5" rank.

I don' t think I've seen any stats for the lower ranks.

B

3. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Have to say, I'd like to see the breakdown of this as well.

4. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd be interested to see this to, but my guest is around half are newbies who signed up to ask or answer one question or just felt like it and never came back.

5. mobilehaathi, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

I seem to remember DoctorQ posting something like that at some point. I think something like 80% of registered users were a Regular or lower.

Edit: here is what I meant, although it is out of date and made by GGJstudios...

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to see!
    Interesting that 6502 and upwards made up just 1.4% of membership in Jan 2012 (assuming that's when the spreadsheet was made). Membership seems to have gone up by a whopping 37% since then (570K --> 780K), so presumably this number is even lower now.

Would be interesting to see an additional column on this spreadsheet which gave the percentage of total posts (over some reasonable time period) made by each rank (6502 and upwards makes up just 1.4% of membership, but what percentage of total posts do they make?)

7. macrumors 6502

I'd say its currently around this. I'm a good example, been a member since 2009 and am only a regular. I just recently started posting more frequently.

8. ozaz, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

Much more than half are newbies. Take a look at the link to GGJstudios' analysis in post #5. Shows that 93% were newbie in Jan 2012. I suspect its even higher now.

EDIT: But you were right about ~50% making no more than one post. In addition to breakdown of members by title, GGJstudios' analysis also shows that 59% of members in Jan 2012 had only made 0 or 1 post.

9. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for posting this link; I remember reading it when it was first posted, and thinking at the time (sad nerd that I am) that this sort of thing is actually very interesting.

This is true. People come and go - stuff happens in their lives and they drop out for months at a time, and then choose to - or, are in a position to - re-engage with the forum. Not long after I joined MR, at very short notice, I was sent abroad for two years, and more or less ceased posting for a good while, as work commitments took precedence.

In any case, I think many join to get an answer to a specific question when they buy an Apple computer - I know I did - and some stay on for other reasons.

However, one of the advantages of a forum such as this, is that people come and go as they see fit, hence you can sometimes see bursts of online activity interspersed with long periods of silence.

10. macrumors 68040

tigres

What does p6 represent?