Composition Tool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cliffardo2001, Jan 12, 2004.

1. cliffardo2001 macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2003
    I attended the MacWorld conference and Keynote and was quite thrilled to hear about GarageBand. Like many, I was worried it was going to be a watered down version of Soundtrack which, for a musician like myself, is not a very useful creatve tool. I am new to digital music production and have only seen a demo for Logic at a convention. What I am confused about is how people can say it's not a useful tool for composition, or even go so far as to say it's a useless application? I understand that you can't import/export MIDI. However, I do know that you can input music with a MIDI keyboard or even a USB/audio interface and cut, paste, move around, change key and individual notes (at least with the MIDI), tempo, and dynamics. And I should mention that the samples sounded beautiful (I got to experiment with GarageBand at the MacWorld conference). Like I said, digital music production is very new to me so something like GarageBand is a great place to start. I gasped when Steve gave the price of iLife '04 because I was probably going to spend over 200 bucks on the Logic Audio Big Box. So, in short, GarageBand is not a useless tool; you can be creative with it, and it's a great place for novices like me to start out with (and impress the socks off of people with the samples!).
  2. jfg@forum macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2004
    Re: Composition Tool

Everything you say is true but if you come up with something great and want to develop it in a program like Logic you cannot because there is no way to transfer it - no midi export.
  3. cliffardo2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2003
    Can't I import AIFF to Logic? And also, can't I perhaps export one track at a time to AIFF and restore the erased files in GarageBand with undo edit? I know this is perhaps a round about way of doing things, but as the program is now, isn't this feasible/reasonable?
  4. jfg@forum macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2004
    Yes you can but an aiff file is not the same as midi. You cannot change notes, add chords, print as sheet music, etc. For this you need mdii.
  5. cliffardo2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2003
    I thought you could alter recorded audio wiht minimal distortion with Logic. I seem to remember this when Logic was demonstrated to me.
  6. Harald4 macrumors member

Jul 23, 2004
    Hi Cliff,
    you're cute selling logic, working for emagic, eh?

Anyway, the name of the game is music.
    Can you afford $999 plus an audio/midi interface? Do it!

If you can't, good news: it's already in your mac.
    Spend some time on the web and find the tools you need and better, learn how to use them.