Comprehensive List Details Every Apple Reference in The Simpsons and Futurama

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

An exhaustive list of all the Apple references ever made in long-running television cartoons The Simpsons and Futurama has been compiled by Yoni Heisler of TUAW. On the air since 1989 and 1999, respectively, The Simpsons and Futurama have featured Apple products in various episodes more than 40 times.

Some standouts include a 2010 episode of Futurama where Bender declares the Mac to be better than the PC and a 1994 episode of The Simpsons, featuring the poor handwriting recognition capabilities of the Apple Newton, a PDA device.

During his compilation of references, Heisler was able to speak with The Simpsons writer Bill Oakley and director David Silverman. According to the duo, computers on the show were often drawn as Macs because it was the platform of choice for animators in the 90s.

Oakley also noted that Smithers, Mr. Burns' well-known assistant, was written as a Mac user because he "is the type of progressive young fellow who would have a Mac rather than a PC."

Silverman wanted to be clear that references to Apple are only added to episodes for comedic effect and the show is carefully written to avoid product placement.
    The full list of Apple references can be accessed on TUAW and is well worth checking out. The compilation includes images, videos, and additional commentary from show creators.

Article Link: Comprehensive List Details Every Apple Reference in The Simpsons and Futurama

2. macrumors member

This show is still going?

3. macrumors newbie

I could never go back to Windows after using something as wonderful as D'oh SX 10.9

4. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

The Simpsons will never die, it's the eternal television show

5. macrumors 604

bushido

its as old as me. i feel like im going to die once it does get cancelled :eek:

random: (I wonder how old those people voicing them are by now)

6. macrumors 6502

Hilarious clips! :-D

7. macrumors 6502a

clukas

haha love these little references which most people don't notice. Shame they killed futurama... again.

8. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Why did they bother changing "Jobs" to "Mobs" and "Apple" to "Mapple" or "Genius" to "Braniac", when they didn't bother changing "Mac", "Bill Gates", or "Microsoft"?

I like how he refers to himself as "Insanely Great". They also refer to him as an "Imagineer" - possibly referring to his ties with Disney, where that's an actual title you can hold?

9. macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

Hahaha. Oakley is a funny man, indeed.
    Smithers:

[​IMG]

10. macrumors 68020

carjakester

i stopped watching the simpsons years ago

11. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's fun to read that the iOS development team used a Simpsons reference to express concern that if the iPhone's virtual keyboard wasn't a great feature then it would end up being ridiculed like the Newton's handwriting recognition, which the Simpsons parodied with "Beat up Martin" being recognized as "Eat up Martha".

12. macrumors newbie

Tangentially, there was "Computing is Hell."

Groening is, of course, the creator of the "Life In Hell" comic strip that appeared in alternative papers in the 80s until not too long ago. It preceded The Simpsons and in many ways inspired The Simpsons. There were several "Life Is Hell" compilation books: "Work is Hell," "Life is Hell", etc. In the late 80s or early 90s, there was a special booklet commissioned by Apple called, "Computing is Hell." It was very similar to the other "...in Hell" books but it was a ad for Macintosh with the "Life In Hell" characters. It was pretty good!

----------

I know they say they don't do product placement, but I thought the 2008 "Mapple Store" with "Steve Mobs" was actually "anti-product placement." If you were vaguely considering Apple at that point, I think one came away with a feeling that one shouldn't even think about buying anything Apple.

My reaction was, "Wow! Apple must have done something to really tick off The Simpons, Groening, Fox or some semblance of those.

Was a huge fan of The Simpsons when it came out, but it lost its edge. After I happened upon the "Mapple" episode, I first thought, "Wow, I will never watch again." And then I rethought it: pretty innovative--I don't think I ever saw a cartoon show trash a product line and company like that.

13. macrumors 68030

I love those books! I still have a copy of "The Big Book of Hell"

I wish Matt Groening would put all the "Life In Hell" comics into an app or some digital book. I'd buy that day one!

14. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

What a wonderfully frivolous article; it makes me feel like I accidentally went to Reddit...

15. macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Lel that Siri one is funny and true :p

16. macrumors 68020

That Mapple segment is funny, and it really does not "dish" Apple at all, just Bart up to this usual antics.

17. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

As it turns out, it's been pretty good lately. Time to mothball this type of response for at least the time being. :D

18. macrumors 601

Plutonius

I agree. We need more patent litigation stories :p.

19. macrumors newbie

Everyone on The Simpsons seems to use a Mac.

And just saying, like most of the new ones, the "Mapple" episode is not very funny. The new Simpsons episodes are full of "satire" that tries to make you laugh for no reason and assume you just didn't get the joke fully.

20. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

But I like frivolous things. :(

21. macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I for one have enjoyed my eye-phone.

22. macrumors 6502

Love the 1984 Apple commercial reference.