Compress An Image

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ®îçhå®?, Apr 29, 2006.

1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Hi,
    i have an image as a JPG format but would like to post it on the forums. For that, i needs to be under 250KB. How do i compress it so that i can??

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You have to resize the image not compress it. First off I will recommend GraphicConverter. Open your image in that program and you should probably resize the image and go to PictureMenu>Size>Scale, and reduce the size to around 75% (or less if the picture is really big). Then do a Save As... and choose your file format (JPEG), and when you hit save it will bring up another window that allows you to change the quality of the image and it should tell you what the file size is going to be.

This is kind of a crash course in file resizing so if you have more questions let me know. Or search the forums for this question, it's rather common.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

or if you have photoshop use the save for web feature

4. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What you just described is compression, not resizing. Compression is what happens when you reduce the image quality of a jpeg.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm pretty sure when you scale the size of the picture down that that is resizing. And that is what I described. Re-read that post.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It depends on what you mean. Generally, if you're changing the vertical and horizontal dimensions, or the DPI of the image, you're resizing. If you're reducing the image quality, that's taking advantage of the jpeg's ability to be compressed. No matter, I'm just feeling a bit pedantic this morning. Sorry. ;)