Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Was wondering what the best way to compress video on the fly is? I have been emailing the video to myself, and then save it to camera roll from the email. Weird thing is though, when I upload the compressed video to my dropbox, it compresses it again, but it says the file is bigger then the file that I downloaded from the email. Whats the deal with that? How is the file bigger the second time it's compressed? Thanks, RV.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Was wondering what the best way to compress video on the fly is? I have been emailing the video to myself, and then save it to camera roll from the email. Weird thing is though, when I upload the compressed video to my dropbox, it compresses it again, but it says the file is bigger then the file that I downloaded from the email. Whats the deal with that? How is the file bigger the second time it's compressed? Thanks, RV.

I think the video is compressed as soon as you e-mail it to yourself. If you offload the actual file from your phone you'll probably see it's bigger than the other to versions, so my guess is that Dropbox just compresses it to a lesser extent than the iPhone e-mail app does

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I think the video is compressed as soon as you e-mail it to yourself. If you offload the actual file from your phone you'll probably see it's bigger than the other to versions, so my guess is that Dropbox just compresses it to a lesser extent than the iPhone e-mail app does

Yeah drop box doesn't compress as much, but what I'm talking about is emailing a video to me, which let's say is 3mb after it's been compressed and emailed, then saving it to the camera roll, then uploading that saved version to drop box, which dropbox now says is a 5mb file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.