Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark Lain

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Is there a freeware program for compressing pdf files with LZW compression? Even a comand line solution would be ok.

I prefer LZW due to the fact that it is losses.

If not what shareware utilities would you recomend that can do this.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Dark Lain said:
Is there a freeware program for compressing pdf files with LZW compression? Even a comand line solution would be ok.

PDF files are pure ASCII text. Lossy compression is not possible.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Well I know that you can use Automator to compress the images in a PDF only. That might be worth a shot. If you are not familiar with Automator I could probably drum up a pretty quick workflow for you.

Actually I figured it out very fast:
Finder: Get Selected Item
PDF: Compress PDF Images
Finder: Open File in Default Application

Once the file opens you'll need to save a copy.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Dark Lain said:

The type of tools that give you that kind of control are PDF distillation apps. The two that I use are Adobe Acrobat Distiller (part of Acrobat) and Stone Design PStill ($69).

In both cases you are limited to either JPEG or ZIP compression of color images (and CCITT Group 3 and Group 4 for monochrome images).

The place where you would find LZW mainly used would be in multipage TIFF documents, which have been used for similar purposes as PDFs in the past.

Dark Lain

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks for all the replies. It's pretty much like I thought.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's a little-known trick, but you can compress PDFs in OSX without using a third-party tool, or Automator. In the print dialog box, choose ColorSync from the Copies & Pages drop down menu and select Reduce File Size from the Quartz menu. This standard Quartz filter doesn't do much to reduce file size in my experience, but additional filters can be made using the ColorSync utility, which can be accessed directly by selecting Add Filters... from the Quartz dialog box. Making the filter do what you want is a trial and error process, but it can be done. And once it's done, the filter is accessible right in the Print dialog box.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
It's a little-known trick, but you can compress PDFs in OSX without using a third-party tool, or Automator...
... but only in 10.3 and later.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I wonder what this option does?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 60
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.