Compu HDTV w/ DVI to HDMI cable?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Mar 25, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2007
    Northern part of the Eastern United States
    I have a dvi to hdmi cable to connect a computer to an hdtv, however, i've read that using a dvi to hdmi cable is a lot harder to make work than using a plain vga cable. Who here has set up a hdtv and computer setup, and which connection style have you used. I would like to use the dvi to hdmi for it is digital, but if i am going to have a lot of scaling, and a lower resolution connection like i have read, than i will go to the vga.

2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I've got my iMac connected to my HDTV via VGA (and the :apple:TV connected via HDMI.)

Many TVs will tell you not to connect a computer to the HDMI port, and there is some reason behind that. The signalling between the display and the video card can be quite different if the PC/video card is older than the TV. In that case you'll need to set the video manually using something like SwitchresX. Thus, there is the risk that you will try to run the display at a rate beyond its means which could in principle cause permanent damage. Unlikely, but possible. The risk is minimized if you are using a recent PC.

IMHO Use the VGA if it is designed for PC input.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm very curious to try connecting the :apple:TV to a DVI monitor using the HDMI out. :p

3. whitelines macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2007
    I've got a macbook and used a mini-dvi to dvi-hd and hooked it up to a 72INCH HD dlp tv that i just got, worked fine with no lagging or anything, i would suggest just using a dvi to hd if you have a regular sized dvi port