CompUSA advertising BOOT CAMP and "PCRS" stories

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacQuest, Apr 9, 2006.

1. MacQuest macrumors 6502a

ONE MORE THING:

I was looking into a "price-match" with a couple of other computer stores, and I noticed that CompUSA is advertising Boot Camp right smack in the middle of BOTH their desktop AND notebook online store webpages!!!

Desktops: http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200005&Ne=200000

NoteBooks: http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200334&Ne=200000

TALK ABOUT PUBLICITY!!!

Due to this, I'm sure I'll begin to hear more about the PCRS (PC Returning Switchers) movement. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=192442

2. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Links arent working for me, says page not found. Please fix.

3. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... not sure what I did at first. I got the "page not found" errors also. So I just went back to CompUSA's site and copy/pasted the links into my original post.

Links are working now. :)

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Not surprised, everyone is jumping on the wagon to get their share of the buzz ;)

5. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup. :)

What struck me as funny though, is that an internationally known and established, major computer reseller [primarily winBlows] like CompUSA [no matter what you may think of them ;) ] would prominently feature/advertise a free piece of beta Mac software that could very well diminish/kill the sells of their higher profit margin peecees, in favor of practically no profit/low margin Macintosh computers.

Looks like they may be embracing the "Taco Bell Theory" of business. Take less profit initially, and make it up in volume later. ;)

Nothing wrong with that though. That "Taco Bell Theory" is why we consumers now have 99 cent menus at practically every fast food restaurant, and their all making money regardless.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

I think you have the profit margin figured backwards. Margins for both manufacturers and retailers on pc's are extremely slim, but the profit margin on Apple computers is much bigger (at least for Apple, and I expect for the reseller as well). CompUSA probably makes very little on pc sales, but makes up for it in volume. If they could increase their Apple sales, with higher margins, they could make much more money. So it makes perfect sense to me that they are advertising boot Camp.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

CompUSA could benefit from the increase purchases of Windows XP (Full Retail) along with many games and utilities from the Mac crowd. I was surprised I forked over $300 dollars for XP. It runs faster than any desktop PC that I ever had.

8. emaja macrumors 68000

It is pretty common knowledge in retail, but I can tell you for a fact that Apple products carry much more margin - profit - than any other PC for the reseller. They are also "price locked" by Apple which means that an Authorized Apple Reseller cannot sell - or at least advertise - for less than the MSRP. I know places like MacMall do, but we are talking about a few bucks and Amazon has rebates, but the out the door price is basically the same everywhere.

Margin on most PCs is about 3-5% where on Apple products - including iPods it is closer to 15-20%.

I have inside sources and no, I won't tell you where.

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Sweet, I dislike CompUSA right now though. They got a 30" ACD who someone punched and they don't care about it, along with a 1.25GHz eMac, like 2 years old. :rolleyes:

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

wierd, I would think telling the average consumer that you can "dual boot into XP or OS X via Boot Camp loader" would scare them away.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

If you follow the link, it takes you to a mirror of Apple's Boot Camp pages. This makes sense since CompUSA has Apple "stores-within-stores", ie. a section set aside for Apple hardware/software, which is almost independent of the main store (I think they even have Apple employees in some places).

No matter how much their store-within-a-store sucks (my local CompUSA got Intel iMacs only a couple of weeks ago) it did give me my first extensive experience of using Macs (albeit only 10 minutes a couple of times a month), and it's closer than the nearest Apple store.

12. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

The condition of the apple store within compusa really just depends if there is an apple rep in it. I was helping some friends do a laptop reset in a different compusa than he normally works in and he just scored a g4 17 inch 1ghz imac for 50 bucks BRAN NEW. It was just tossed in the back and he found it while while checking the system for discounted stuff. I pretty much hate him right now. My other friend is getting a 17 inch cinema dispay for 30 bucks :mad:

13. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

Boot camp = Switch 2.0

Nah. It's the whole "Now when you buy a Mac, you're getting 2 computers for the price of 1... and the Mac doesn't suck", that gets them everytime.

The best part is telling them that they can run winBlows if they absolutely need too, but that most people find they don't have to at all. The object is to get them to buy the Mac and try it out, and then they'll find out for themselves that Macs are better and that they really don't need winBlows, which they were told from the beginning.

Apple's Boot Camp [and virtualization technology applications] marks the introduction of Switch 2.0, a whole new wave of Switchers that builds on the original Switch '02 advertising campaign and the base of switchers who have built up since then.

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well as that BootCamp page is within the Brand Showcase section and they're using a mirror of Apple's page, I'm pretty sure Apple has paid CompUSA for the whole publicity.

irmongoose

15. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Looks like Compusa has everyone beat. This picture of a hp laptop is shown on their in-store ad, 1st page I believe. $800.00 for a hp that runs os X isn't too bad.

[​IMG]

16. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since I didn't click on the links at first, I thought they would just link to Apple's Boot Camp page. Having just clicked on them though, i just realized that they actually link to a CompUSA web page that has the same info as the Boot camp page.

HA!!!

THAT'S HILARIOUS!!!