CompUSA and Macbooks???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macsrockmysocks, May 23, 2006.

1. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

When do you think that CompUSA and other retailers will get the Macbook? I really want to see one before I buy off of the internet. Oh, and if you take out all of the preinstalled RAM that apple provides and put another company's in, doesn't that void your warranty?

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

(1) Call up your local CompUSA and ask them when they will have a display model available
    (2) No it won't void your warranty.

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I haven't checked my local CompUSA in the last few days, but they don't even have the MacBook Pro in stock yet so I'm not holding my breath on them getting MacBooks any time soon. On the other hand, a different local retailer got theirs in yesterday -- I just dropped in at lunch time to check it out. They only had one of the white ones on display, but it looked good! I can't wait to get one for myself.

As for your second question, I would be surprised if installing new RAM yourself (i.e. not getting some Apple-authorized repair person to do it) didn't void your warranty.

4. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

CompUSA does have MacBooks, because I know somebody who works at one and they bought their own MacBook from there.

5. macsrockmysocks thread starter macrumors regular

What I mean with the RAM is that if you get a stock Macbook and take out the 512Mb of RAM included and put in 2 1Gb sticks, will it void your warranty? I could have sworn that I remeber something in the Applecare instructions thta it will void your warranty. And if I install another 512Mb with the 512Mb thta apple provides, will it work?

6. danny_w macrumors 601

I was just at my local CompUSA (north Austin) and they had a black Macbook on display, but no white ones and no MBPs. It was sitting right next to a 15" PowerBook (same as I have) which made comparison easy. I was extremely impressed with everything about the MB, including the keyboard (probably the best I have every seen on a laptop) and the screen (didn't even notice the glare until I tilted the screen). I still don't know that I would pay the $150 "tax" for the black, but it sure did look nice, not at all like I expected from the photos.

7. macsrockmysocks thread starter macrumors regular

I am going to call CompUSA in New Orleans today to see if they have them in today. Thanks for saying that the black looks nice becuase that is the one I want:D

8. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

The CompUSA in Fort Myers, FL got their MacBooks in on Friday May 19th. I was the first out the door with one. They've got black and white.

9. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Should I actually go to my local compusa? Because the "price and availability' guy you get on the phone says no compusa's will have them until june?:confused:

10. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

If you damage something while installing the RAM it is your fault and is NOT covered by the warranty. However, installing RAM of a HD on the Macbook do NOT automatically void the warranty. Only you damaging the MB will do so (and then i believe it only applies to the damage caused, but could be used to deny repairs to other problems).

11. lonelemur90 macrumors member

lonelemur90

actually, it depends on which compusa you are going to. the one about 5 minutes away from me usually gets new apple stuff very quickly. for example: they had MBPs a few days after they started shipping from the apple store online. i havnt been ther lately so i cant vouch for if the MBs are in but my guess is yes seeing as they began shipping at their introduction. as for the RAM... any ram that you get from apple is covered in the warranty. if u get 2 gigs custom installed by the apple online store, then it will be covered by applecare. but 3rd party ram is not covered by apple, therefore if ther is a problem with the ram apple cannot be held responsible.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's nothing like taking a chance. If you can't contact anyone at your local store directly, then your only choice is to head down there and look. If it's a long distance you might have wasted a trip but at least you will know and will be able to talk to a person. They, of course, may or may not know but you'll have satisfied your curiosity.

13. macsrockmysocks thread starter macrumors regular

I found out yesterday that my CompUSA doesn't have them in stock until Friday, but they have them on display!:) :D

14. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

The CompUSA near me (Orange, CT) has them in stock.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

They provide instructions in the booklet.

As far as I've heard, you can replace the RAM and the hard drive and, while the new components won't be covered by warrenty, the rest of the machine will.

16. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Well, my local compusa JUST got them in!

So what did I do?

<----Is floored by his 1.83 ghz white macbook! :D

17. Smallville macrumors regular

CompUSA in Boise had the black model in stock, all others sold out. Still have iBooks that they may discount because they can't move the inventory.

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Call the CompUSA, but don't select the pricing and availablilty crap. Talk to the manager. He's actually in the store, and he'll tell you whether or not they have a display model.

It has always worked for me.