Compusa "Crazy Credit Event"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jkieffer72, Apr 13, 2006.

1. jkieffer72 macrumors member

I got an email from Compusa today that they are having a "Crazy Credit Event" starting tomorrow evening 6pm until Midnight and continuing thru Saturday.

$2499+ Purchase gets 60-Months no Interest
    $1999+ Purchase Gets 48-Months No Interest
    $1099+ Gets 36-Months
    $699+ Gets 24-Months

Gentlemen (and women!) Start your Credit Cards!!

I think I'm going to go for the MacBook Pro with the 2.0Ghz Core Duo!

Anybody have a room for rent when my wife finds out??

I think the PowerMac and iBook I have will have to be sold to help cover the costs still, but 5 years to pay off the balance? A deal to good to be true! (Just don't miss the minimum payments or forget to pay it off before the end of term! Their interest rate is HIGH! Mine is something like 23%!)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Also watch out for "Administration fees" that have to be paid up front.

I once saw a store offer 6 months interest free on a $199 item, and the administration fee was $29.95. So to take the interest free option, you ended up paying 30% interest.

3. jkieffer72 thread starter macrumors member

Yowch. Scary. I've purchased three Macs from Compusa on their no interest deals and have not been hit with any such extra fees however. iBook (paid off long ago), Powermac (almost payed for, but still have almost 2 years interest free) and recently a Core Duo Mini! (Just bought a few weeks ago.)

I think this is a pretty legit deal.

4. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Yeah, I buy all my computers using my compusa card. It's awesome. I just got my core duo imac with 36months same as cash, no interest. The only thing is though that you usually have to make monthly payments which are very low.

5. jkieffer72 thread starter macrumors member

You're right; they payments are quite low. Last month my balance was just short of $2000; minimum payment was $21.00. They don't want you to pay it off prior to the end of the promotional period!!! ;) They're hoping (betting?) that you'll either not pay it off in time; or even better miss a payment. If you miss the payment not only does the interest they have "differed" become due; they can raise their already high interest rate!