CompUSA gave me a new iPod! But I have some questions.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by coopdog, Oct 18, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    I had one of thoes CompUSA replacement plans on my 10 gig 2nd gen ipod. I used the Apple disk utility to delete the ipod so it gave me the folder with a "!" error. I needed to delete it anyway so why not.

I was going down by local CompUSA and I wanted to see what what they thought about the easly fixable error. I was thinking they would atleast listen for the HD to spin up or just plug it into to one of the macs and it would try to install the ipod os on it and they would realize that i was not broken.

But no, I just said "I'm having some difficulty with my ipod." They tried to turn it on and it gave them the error. They said it was broken.

Tech guy hippy with a mullet, "Oh yeah these Apple things always break, it's just a matter of time untill the HD goes out"
    Me, "But you can hear the HD spinning and its not crashing or anything"

Hippy, "No, it's broken! We will give you a new one."

Me, "Ok."

Now I have a brand new 10 gig ipod. I was kind of angry at the other hippy with a mullet that was helping me because even though my orginal iPod cost $399 they would only give me the $299 10 gig.

1. I paid the $399 for the first iPod
    2. I paid for the replacement plan that covers $399-499 not the cheaper one for $299

One would think that they would get whatever ipod model costs the same as the orginal cost and is covered by insurance. But no it's done by specs not price. Well my new 10 gig has no remote. Unlike my old 10 gig. Oh yes I can use my old remote! No.

But whatever I will just swap someone for my extra charger for a remote.

How in the world is this a good deal for CompUSA?! I got another insurance plan for $45 for 2 yearson my new ipod. There is nothing stoping me from never buying a ipod ever again, there will always be ipod at the $299-$399 price point. And the 4th gen will phase out the 10gig so then they will have to give me the lowest model on the new gen, I guess.

I'm using the windows iTunes. My god! the iTunes and iPod install opened so many instalation windows! One for every component it seemed like.

Anyway, How do I have the ipod sort the songs alphabeticaly? And in browsing by Artists it sometimes it will have the same artist like 3 or 4 times. How do I delete thoes? Thanks
  2. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    You bought a 10 gig iPod, they gave you a 10gig iPod. They filled the requirement if your warranty. Anywhere else that's how a warranty is sold, for a specific product. If it's disco'd you get the replacement model.

CompUSA sells thier warranty on a dollar amount? I thought it was just the fee was based on the unit price. Otherwise I could buy something and then trade it for a totally different product in the future.

Are the Artists names misspelled or something. You can just mass edit the artist info in iTunes and then re-sync everything
  3. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    Yep. Thats how you sign up for it. But it is for the product you get though say you buy a 40 gig iPod and get the plan that is $499-$599 of coverage for $50 something a year.

Yeah thats what I do. But some still show up as

And the have the same CD titles and songs within.

Also, I have about 7 gigs of music, but I only listen to about 1 gig of it. How do I have the ipod sync with iTunes but not copy over the 50 crappy beastie boys songs my friend gave me?
  4. magid macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2003
    in the itunes library there is a checkbox on the left side of the song. you can just uncheck it if you dont want to sync that song. also you have to go into preferences for the ipod when it is connected and click only sync with check songs, or something like that. im not totally sure what its called. hope this helps