CompUSA sold me the wrong PowerMac.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mikemodena, Oct 9, 2005.

1. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

If anyone read my thread last night about my discussion with my mom about getting a powermac.. here is the not-yet happy ending.

Around 6pm we went to CompUSA.. I bought a stock Dual 2GHz PowerMac, 2 512MB sticks of RAM, a bluetooth dongle, AppleCare for $2100. (They gave me the AppleCare for free and the computer was $100 off due to a sale)

At 8 I got home, opened up the box.. no mouse and keyboard.. I have my bluetooth mouse and keyboard, but the ones that came with the powermac were going to my mom's mac mini... Upon further inspection, the box had a yellow sticker on it saying Certified Refurbished. I open up System Profiler and it has a video card with only 64MB of memory in it..

So I went to CompUSA came home the happiest I've ever felt in a long time.. just to find out that I got the wrong machine..

We have to go tomorrow morning when they open and exchange it and hope it is hassle free because I'm afraid they'll try to say that I stole the mouse and keyboard, when in fact, it was never in the box to begin with.

Edit: It was also missing the DVI to VGA Adapter.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Places like CompUSA usually take things back no questions asked.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Raise hell but yeah, got to agree with former poster -- CompUsa? Yikes. I'm even scared to buy things at Fry's. Except maybe a cheap printer.

5. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I bought it there because I couldn't hold out any longer for a PowerMac.. and like 5 of my friends work there, so I figured it would be safe..

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

don't bring your powermac in for repair there... i made that mistake and they ended up destroying the machine!

I called apple up and the head boss guy over there at apple support called the compusa that i took it into to yell at them

apparentl they put him on hold for nearly an hour because they couldn't find someone who knew apple's. When he finally talked to someone i guess they were yelled at extremely bad.

long story short i got a brand new free powermac :)

7. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

You know what sucks? I've got a boxed up PowerMac (dual 2ghz, 1.5gb ram) sitting 5 feet behind me and I'm typing on a mac mini.. *twitch*

8. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

It's not a repair.. it's for a replacement.. I paid full price and got a refurbished powermac unknowingly.

9. robcts macrumors regular

I'd never trust Comp USA or any similar place.

10. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I agree after this.. but now my mom paid 2 grand and so I gotta get my replacement.. thinking about it I've got the rev b? powermac 2ghz with pci-x and 8gb of possible ram. I'd actually like to keep it but I need the mouse and keyboard and dvi to vga adapter for my mom's computer, and they're not just gonna hand me one without an exchange.. Plus my mom is saying "I paid for a brand new item, I want a brand new item" and I'm not gonna argue with that.

I can't wait till tomorrow.

11. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I'd never buy another Mac from CompUSA again. I got my PowerBook there last September (my first Mac ever) and had them install an extra 512 MB of RAM. From time to time I would have kernal panics. It would usually happen when I was working with heavy apps such as Photoshop and iMovie. I thought it was my Mac screwing up at first, but then after some research I decided to remove the 512 MB stick CompUSA installed for me and it ran fine ever since (except for one kernal panic, but that was one of those rare random ones). It turns out the RAM's manufacturer was Centon. Oh, high quality right there! :rolleyes: I still have yet to upgrade my memory again... I'm adding a 1 GB stick soon for a total of 1.5 GB so that should be nice. Anyway, my first Mac experience with CompUSA and it was a crappy one. They definitely lost a customer. I'll be getting my Power Mac G5 directly from apple.com with credit, so the chance of any problems will be minimum. That is also a reason why I don't purchase refurbished items. You don't know where they have been, who has been using them, what is missing, etc.

Anyway, long post short: I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience. I hope you have fun with your replacement. :) And continue with the kickass Web design!

12. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

no no no... i releize you just bought it... i'm just saying when you do get yours and it needs to fixed for whatever reason... i wouldn't trust them

13. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

*Looks to the right of him* HAH! The ram I bought are 2 512MB of Centon RAM "Supercharged for PowerMac G5"

I hope CompUSA chokes on a grape.

14. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Why are people bashing Compusa? I bought a bondi Blue iMac, TiBook 1Ghz and AlBook 1.5Ghz there and they are still running. I hate how it takes forever to get the powerbook out of the store. (They got to make sure you got the right specs and the manager has to sign off and the laptop is in the different part of the building.) My dad makes me and my lil bro OPEN the powerbooks at the store and check the specs right there in the store before we walk out. That rule applys anywhere anytime we buy Macs.

DO NOT BRING YOUR MAC TO COMPUSA TO FIX
    I dont care if you have applecare or not, they will screw you over.
    Buy there with caution, never walk in with a mac to fix

15. p0intblank macrumors 68030

LOL That's hilarious. Seriously, take that crap back. May I recommend you get your Power Mac with the stock RAM only and upgrade it yourself? That is what I would do.

16. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I bought those 2 sticks seperate in the package, and put them in when I got home.. Took them right back out when I repackaged it though.

17. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Oh.. I'm sorry.. I'm quite disgruntled tonight :p

18. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Good man! :p

19. robcts macrumors regular

Yes, I'd go with Crucial for RAM :)

20. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Yeah for RAM I'd go for either Corsair or Crucial.

21. yenko macrumors 6502a

What's a Bluetooth Dongle? :confused:

For under $2200, you can get a NEW dual 2Ghz Power Mac with Airport/Bluetooth, 2x512 (1Gig) RAM, Keyboard and mouse. Ships in 24 hrs. Order from Apple's site and have it shipped Next-Day DHL/FedEx/UPS. :cool:

Get a refund from CompUSA. They REALLY suck! :mad:

22. yenko macrumors 6502a

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

no they don't.... i tried to return a pair of speakers cause i didn't want them.... i was yelling at the manager for about 20 mins.... (it was the one in i think in braintree, its next to a best buy and a bed bath and beyond...

i guess so, I wouldn't but then again i have an apple store 10 mins away :p

24. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Did the manager have a reason for not allowing you to return them?

Just curious.

25. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Boy do I feel sorry for you. That would suck major. I wonder if you could get some type of discount because this happened to you.

Ask 'em! :D ;)