CompUSA to only carry Blackbooks?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattcube64, May 26, 2006.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

So, I go into my local CompUSA for the fourth time in the last week praying they have the MB on display. Sure enough, no such luck.

As I'm fooling around with the 15" MBP, an associate comes over, and asks if he can help. I questioned when they would receive the MBs, and he replied they already had 3 black ones in back. He talks about them for a few seconds, then mentions he opened one up for a display, but they're supposed to sell off the iBooks first. I quickly ask him to show me, and he says it's no problem.

He comes out about a minute later with the most beautiful laptop I've ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous black MB. This thing is all sorts of awesome looking. He opens it up, and I fall in LOVE with the widescreen display. What makes it even better, though, is he already has Boot Camp running Windows XP Pro on the thing! I pick it up, open it, close it, open it again, open some apps, check for mooing/whining (none), turn it off, and then boot in OSX. I have to say, it is one gorgeous laptop. Oh, and MAN(!) does this thing boot up fast. I could have the computer off, and then have iTunes open and connected to the internet in under 23 seconds! Very impressed.

Anyhoo, as great as the black looked, I can't justify spending $150 on a color. If I had some extra money, I'd definitely do it. However, money is tight, and I'd rather have a white MB with a gig and a half of RAM, then a black MB with stock 512. So, I asked how fast the white ones sold. He said they never got any white ones, and there aren't any on order!

Has anyone seen/bought a white MB at their CUSA? B/c I'd rather purchase there as they have a better exchange policy.

2. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

What CompUSA are you going to? Mine has the White and Black MBs on display, right next to the iBooks. They got them in stock today, so tomorrow I might go to buy one, but I am not sure. Do you know when your compUSA got their 15" MBP, because mine still doesn't have it on display?

They should be able to order a White one for you if u really want it.

3. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Yeah dude, my compUSA had WAY more whites than blacks.

4. wxboss macrumors member

wxboss

Same here.

5. wako macrumors 65816

My local CompUSA (two of them) still dont even have any Intel based macs...

6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

my 'local' compusa (134 miles away in Jackson, MS) (Monroe BLOWS in the technology world) only had 1 17" MBP, 0 15.4" MBPs, 2 white ones, and no black. They said they were having an "inventory issue". So, wasted trip because i didn't want to buy a $3000 display.

7. TallShaffer macrumors member

I bought my white MB 2 days after they were released at my comp usa (yay for accidental warranty)

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I can debunk this here and now.

We received our first shipment of Macbooks last Thursday, the 18th. Five of each model. They were all gone by Sunday. As soon as we got them in I pt two on display, the $1099 model, and the $1499 model. I sold at least 4 that day alone.

We got another 7 of the $1099 model in today. I sold 3 personally myself, and there were only two when I left for the night, so they'll likely be gone by business day's end tomorrow.

Thus, CompUSA carries all of them.

Edit: As far as other notebooks, we have the 17", and 12" Powerbooks still on display, plus an open-boxed 17", an open-boxed 15" and one new 12" in stock. There's a third 12" PB that I don't know the details of. We have about 10 iBook G4s left.

We have both models of MBP out on display, also.

I should really take a picture of the display I have setup. The row basically is like this, from left to right.

17" MBP 17" PB 12" PB 14" IB 12" IB 1.83GhzMB 2.0GhzMBB

9. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

call the jackson store since i know they're prolly in your district and tell the manager not to be a horse's ass to customers because their in a ratty old t-shirt and shorts... they may just have 3K in cash in their pocket and want to buy a computer...

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Prices? Just curious. :confused:

11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

MBP 17: $2799 PB 17: $2499 PB 12: $1499 IB 14: $1299 IB 12: $999 And then the macbook prices are obvious.