Computer as Best-Selling Novelist?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by OldManJimbo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2004
    California Coast
  2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Wow. That's more than a little disturbing.

I've no doubt, though, that given a sufficient number of parameters, a computer could write a credible, entire novel with minimal or no help from humans. It might be a while yet, but it'll happen.

Probably on some dark and stormy night....
  3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Just because it's credible and complete doesn't mean anyone will want to read it. After all, thousands of humans are participating in national novel writing month, but that doesn't mean any of them will be readable, let alone publishable.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the only novel that a computer could probably write and probably get published would have to be one of those Harlequin romance generic p.o.s. that some people read.

so its national novel writing month eh? weird because i finally started my story recently. i worked on concepts over the summer, but finally started penning the story just last week, being a student and having a part time job is going to cause me to take me time with this project but thats cool with me, sorry about the tangent here....
  5. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    No, we don't want to read it, so don't ask. Unless it's about me, in which case: good work.