Computer as dial-up server

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AliensAreFuzzy, Jul 5, 2005.

1. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I thought I saw it on TechTV a long time ago. Is it possible for me to hook up my computer through the modem, and to my cable modem so that I can dial into my home computer from somewhere else and use that as my internet? If it is possible, how would I go about that?

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

In os X you have a built in VPN client, which should work. We are trying to get it to work, but no such luck. We get a connection, but can't see the harddisk of the server... Does anyone know how to see this? Owh, search the apple support pages for VPN, it explains how to set it up.

3. AliensAreFuzzy thread starter macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking to do. I want to be able to dial into my home network to be able to use my internet there so I don't have to get a dial-up ISP.

4. Zachariah macrumors member

I know it's not that helpful to tell you this, but...

What you are considering is possible (with questionable performance), I just don't know the details of how to set it up.

5. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

are you sure you didn't forget to activate sharing & appeltalk???

not sure if appletalk is needed... but sharing is ;-)

but I never tried something like your setup... just ethernet/airport network... but once I forgot to activate appletalk & sharing & offcourse couldn't see the other computer....