Computer-based assistance to the blind

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In a previous thread I noted a Computer game for the blind.

Today I came across a USA Today story about a shopping assistant robot for the blind.

The user of this research system has to know Braille to review the shopping directory, but the robot can reportedly get them to the right item (e.g., Cheerios) in the supermarket. A voice announces that they have reached the right area of the right aisle, but the user then has to pick the right package off the shelf. They plan to add more voice control and a bar-code reader next.

The current model "looks like a cross between a carpet cleaner and the plumbing fixtures in your basement".

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for the article Doctor Q. ;) It sounds like a big step forward to assist the blind. Now if they can improve the look of the device, of course it won't matter to the blind. Just so that it can make them more safely self sufficient.

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If they hear people laughing and saying "That looks like a cross between a carpet cleaner and the plumbing fixtures in your basement!" as they ride by, they might just care after all.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Amazing. Great to hear about technology helping disabled/impaired people to live ordinary lives. Now to work on the looks of this machine. Thanks for the news bit Dr Q.

5. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

As somebody who works with the blind on a daily basis, I cannot say enough how helpful a device like this would be to a lot of people with vision disablilties.

Problems will always lie in orientation and mobility for quite a few, but this is a large step forward.