Computer Crash Erases Voting Records

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by primalman, Jul 28, 2004.

1. primalman macrumors 6502a

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Everyone: Take a good look at the name of this thread, that's a headline you're going to be seeing an awful lot of this fall. God bless voter fraud.

paul

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

One time, I put my bank card into an ATM at school. The machine swallowed my card, and the screen went blank. Two or three minutes later, the screen came back on, and it seemed as though the machine was self-booting. Then the weirdest thing happened --- the words Microsoft Windows came up on the screen, but it was no Windows version I have ever seen. It looked more like DOS than anything else. Must have been pre-Windows 3.0 or something. This was in 2002.

My point: Everything bad that ever happens when dealing with ANY electronic device, probably has something to do with a version of Windows.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is where having a paper printout just like at the ATM would be a more reliable backup. According to David Pogue most election officials are leaning toward the paper backup.

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Thats an okay idea but you have to have someway to verify the paper as it is being created so that it can be matched against the stored version. There has always been fraud, there will always be fraud. The 2000 election was unique because voter incompetence apparently outweighed fraud.

Just remember the recounts performed by the NYT and PBP both found W would have won had then been performed in any consistent manner. There was a combination of calling some things correct votes and other things incorrect votes that would have yielded a Gore victory but it lacked a clear methodology and was almost tantamount to giving everything questionable to Gore.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Sorry to get off topic, but along the same lines as the ATM posts. I live in San Francisco, and I was in a BART station a few months back. I looked at one of the brand new ticketing machines, and instead of the usual ticketing program, I saw a Windows desktop, complete with Start menu and icons. There was a fatal error message on the screen. Looked like Windows 2000. I wish I had a camera that day, it was hilarious.

7. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

just brings back and old saying in a big way....

Backup, Backup, Backup!!!!! :D

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

I was thinking vote early vote often

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Now the voting machine company is saying that they may have found the backups...

10. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Right next to the billing records for the Rose Law Firm?

:)

Or for those on the other side of the aisle, W's national guard pay stubs?

or for the non political, Didn't Jimmy Hoffa have them?

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Yesterday I was at the virging record store in NY at 14th st and one of the machines to preview the music with a touchtone screen was crashed. I reseted by touching the icons and stuff and it started to work again.

I mean, how come a music JukeBox can crash?

12. sonyrules macrumors regular