Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCoaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I'm looking for a good corner or L shaped computer desk. L shaped preferred so I can do my homework on the same desk as well. I've looked online and have seen good designs but I'm afraid they're of shoddy quality. I tried IKEA, they have nice desks but not what I want. :(

A major factor is the fact that I want to use my 23" to view HDTV movies from the couch but yet watch regular movies on either the 23" or my smallish TV. It's hard trying to come up with a room layout with a good computer desk that will allow space for homework. :\

Does anyone have good suggestions?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Well, the problem is, any quality desk will cost you quite a bit. And if you spend a bunch of money on a desk, Murphy's Law dictates that the next place you live in will be completely incompatible with your current desk.

So, I would suggest getting a basic low-quality desk and customize it. Add some hardware like this mouse and keyboard holder. It's far superior to any you'll find on a cheap-o desk. Or this for a CPU holder (assuming you use a tower). These kinds of add-ons will make you feel like you're using a higher quality desk than you are. And when you move if the desk doesn't work you just take the hardware off and ditch the desk, or give it to someone else.

Just the other day in fact, I found a flip-up power receptacle that can be installed in a desk surface to supply power and ethernet connections to a laptop (not that I'd need the wired internet connection). When you need to plug in your laptop (or iPod, or camera, or whatever) you flip the receptacle up, and when you're done you flip it down and it sits flush with the desktop. Very slick. I might have to order one of those and install it, which would require cutting a hole in my desktop. But it's a cheap-o desk, so I don't mind!

I think I paid like $150 for an L-shaped desk with a hutch at Staples not too long ago. The keyboard holder was crap and fell apart nearly instantly, but now I don't care.

MacCoaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mactastic, thanks for replying.
mactastic said:
Well, the problem is, any quality desk will cost you quite a bit. And if you spend a bunch of money on a desk, Murphy's Law dictates that the next place you live in will be completely incompatible with your current desk.
Perhaps so, but I plan to buy a 30" HDTV when I have the money, and thus no longer need to watch movies and stuff on the Power Mac as much so the desk should be fine if I just moved it in a corner in a new place.
mactastic said:
So, I would suggest getting a basic low-quality desk and customize it. Add some hardware like this mouse and keyboard holder. It's far superior to any you'll find on a cheap-o desk. Or this for a CPU holder (assuming you use a tower). These kinds of add-ons will make you feel like you're using a higher quality desk than you are. And when you move if the desk doesn't work you just take the hardware off and ditch the desk, or give it to someone else.
My mind's spinning! I'm not really into finding lots of different parts and assembling them (I've had enough of that with my three PCs I've built in my life ;)). I'd rather find a package that's good quality and acceptable and just build it.
mactastic said:
Just the other day in fact, I found a flip-up power receptacle that can be installed in a desk surface to supply power and ethernet connections to a laptop (not that I'd need the wired internet connection). When you need to plug in your laptop (or iPod, or camera, or whatever) you flip the receptacle up, and when you're done you flip it down and it sits flush with the desktop. Very slick. I might have to order one of those and install it, which would require cutting a hole in my desktop. But it's a cheap-o desk, so I don't mind!
Hmm, that's a cool idea. Not sure if my tower computers would need that much, but its great for monitors, speakers, etc. which don't need power all the time.
mactastic said:
I think I paid like $150 for an L-shaped desk with a hutch at Staples not too long ago. The keyboard holder was crap and fell apart nearly instantly, but now I don't care.
That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want things to fall apart. I just want a good quality desk that works. I wouldn't mind paying more than $200. In fact, $1000 is probably my ceiling.

Thanks again for replying.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I know you said that you tried Ikea but did you look at just the table tops and legs. That should allow for custom configurations. The longest one does top out at 155cm long however. But put a couple of those together and you have a nice L desk. Just a thought.

What exactly is it your looking for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.