Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scooter alex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2009
hi guys. i have a prob with my ipod. can anybody help? my computer does not no that it is there. the usb ports are fine and it doesnt come up in itune either. the ipod still works ok just like to no if its stuffed

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Does the iPod say it's connected? Do you have a pc with windows or a mac? Maybe it's the cable. Try powering your computer down. Then connect your iPod. Then start the computer again.

coronel mustard

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Standish, England
If when you connect the ipod- the "Do no disconnect" screen does not come up- then you can try putting the ipod into forced disk mode. This will force the ipod to connect to your pc/mac

1. Before placing the iPod into disk mode, you should verify that it is charged.
2. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
3. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least 6 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
4. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
5. Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will change and say "Do not disconnect"

From here I suppose you could always perform a restore.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1450

Note that there are about eleventy-billion (not a real number, I know) troubleshooting steps for Windows and iPod recognition, so here's hoping that you have a Mac to troubleshoot with. Look in the additional information section in the article for disambiguation between the Mac OS and Windows steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.