computer for business school?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DaveTheRave, May 24, 2003.

1. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502

May 22, 2003
    I'm applying to business school and would like to get a notebook computer to replace my ancient windows 95 computer. I've looked at the iBook and the PB.

I sent an email to one of the grad schools that I think I have a strong chance of getting accepted. I asked about computer requirements, etc. The response was that they strongly recommend windows compatitable pcs. Now I wonder if that's because they expect me to use some sort of Windows-only software at the school, or is it because they don't know that MS Office is available on the Mac. Anyone here recently get their MBA? I wonder if I could really use a Mac in business school. If not then I'll be taking a close look at IBM T40 notebooks, etc. but the PB is really tempting.
  2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    you certainly can. my brother went through the same thing in law school.

the only reason i'd recommend getting the windows machines is if, as you said, they might require some type of windows only software... i would defintely ask that

the other, more remote possibility is that they're going with the 802.11a standard which i don't know if the macs would be compatible with... but i don't know much about that and i doubt it's all that likely

my bro never had any problems with his old g3 powerbook at school, and his friends who got dells or whatever else had all sorts of problems. 3 of them had failed computers within months..

do you plan to do anything non-businessy with it?
  3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    I think that is just the school's ignorance. They don't want you to have any problems with incompatibility computers so they say buy a PC laptop. Get the iBook/PowerBook, and if worse comes to worse, you could use VPC. It is slow as heck but it does work.
  4. DaveTheRave thread starter macrumors 6502

May 22, 2003
    As far as non-business stuff, I'd like to try burning some CDRs and watching a DVD when I (rarely) travel. If I get the PB, I'd probably buy some songs off of iTunes. I would also get the Airport Extreme + base station, since I plan on dumping AOHell and signing up for Earthlink cable or Time Warner Road Runner as soon as I get the new computer. I frequently use the AOL, MSN, & Yahoo IM programs.

I'll have to research the VPC program consider how I could make use of it. I still need to think about what I will want to get. PB + Mac Office vX sounds good, but then MS is releasing Office 11 this summer for the Windows platform.

Thanks for your comments. I've been reading this board for a while and you guys really are informed!