Computer for Moma

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Myradon, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Myradon macrumors newbie

My mother wants a computer for two simple tasks, Word Processing and The internet. She does not however want to spend any money, and this is where I come in. I have a spare Pentium 266, 256ram, 4.5 gig HD, CD burner, and the know how to get it up and running.

The problem is operating system. I hate windows. Madly. That combined with security holes, spy ware, ad ware and my inability to baby-sit her computer more than an hour a week makes me think that a Window$ system is not desirable.
    People think Linux is incomprehensible, but I don't find that. I suspect once set up Suse would suit her needs very well.

So basically it comes down to Windows98 or The Linux wheel of Distro's (Either Suse or Lycoris). Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

As you suggested, Windows is just too susceptible to security breaches for someone who is a novice...It is very likely your mother would accidentally stumble onto something or open up an attachment that would end up costing you hours in repair time.

By the way, when I saw the thread title, I was guessing whether you meant your mother or MoMA (Museum of Modern Art).

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you could just get her to memorize the functions she wants from the computer then Linux is a pretty cool way to go. On the other hand, if she's had a little bit of experience with Windows, then it might be a better idea to keep her going with that. If so, don't forget to invest in a good antivirus program.

She should be fine with Linux though. :)

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Word processing -- doesn't that depend on how many people she wants to share her documents with?

The tyranny of MS Office is hard to avoid if you want to send other people your documents and have them open them with little fuss.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This might be a stupid question, but can you run Office on Linux? I realise that Microsoft doesn't make a version for Linux, but is it possible to run it using some sort of middle-ware?

BTW, did I just make up a word?

6. Myradon thread starter macrumors newbie

in theory Word should be able to be run on Wine a windows emulator. Also open office (www.openoffice.org) allows a user to open and save in Word file formats.

7. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

do you wanna buy my performa 6116cd? it has a snappy 71mhz processor(i think) and a whopping 72 megabytes of ram, it still runs like a champ.

8. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Heading over to Ebay and looking for an iMac G3 might be an option, there great little machines for the basics, and you can pick up alot of them for under $200.

9. Myradon thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_6116cd.html

Estimated current price of 15$. Is it running OS 9.0?
    A friend of mine has one of These in her closet, un opened. I was thinking 100$ might bribe it away from her. However I think I'm going to go with Linux: Lycoris. Good functionality, and a very clean look that should keep my mother pleased. it also asks for the root password when you're going to cause trouble. I like that.

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i have an apple IIc that can still work. I played apple panic recently.

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

www.codeweavers.com

12. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

If all she does is write documents and print them, KPage or KOffice should be more than enough.

If she has to exchange docs with the whole world in .doc and can't use .pdf or .rtf then.. windows it is (Crossover didn't convince me). Make sure you use win2K + firefox + thunderbird + ad aware, and remove the admin rights from her account.

Install vnc, and when she needs some software, install it for her without giving her the root password (ALT+right click on an exe => run as...)