computer for video editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Drew144, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Drew144 macrumors newbie

Im very limited on money and pretty much got one shot at picking the right computer. my limit was 1400 but has soomehow grown to 1800 *sigh*. I cant decide between these two:

MacBook
    2.0 GHz Intel
    1 GB RAM
    100 GB hd
    Wireless mouse
    $1730ish(tax included)

iMac
    2.16 GHz Intel
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB hd
    $1770ish(tax included)

The main purpose of this computer is to edit and make videos in iLife06. Im not going to be getting any other kind of editing software, mostly because i wont have the money to. I REALY like the idea of a laptop: being able to cary it around the house, on vacations, ect. But if the iMac will outperform the MacBook by a lot and its definately worth it to go with the iMac for video editing, ill do that. ANY help would be appreciated. This is driving me CRAZY.

Drew

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

If portability will be a big thing than go for the MacBook.. but play at your Apple Store w/ iLife and make sure its fast enough. I was in the same dilema but between a MBP and an iMac.. I chose the MBP because I am way to mobile to even think about a desktop. Im using FCE and an external HD for it. It works great so far.

Thinking back if I had gotten a desktop i would have been spending less time w/ my computer.. There is even a joke about how much I carry it around... lol.

But... how much do you move and go around and about? Is it frequent or are you going to be sitting most days? If you arent going on 100 different vacations/locations, get the iMac. It will far outpreform the MB and it will allow you to upgrade once you do have the time and money. These computers are investments for more money in the future. So if you are not going to be that mobile than dont worry about it. Get the iMac. and than make it work for you, and than get a MB...

3. Rasheem macrumors regular

Dont even bother with the macbook. either get the imac or a mpb! Its so worth it!

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The iMac really doesn't kick the crap out of the MacBook. Remember the iMac ran on the same chip as the MacBook. Its new chip isn't that exciting, but that 24 inch iMac sure is.

You could get a MacBook Pro for about 1800 refurb last I checked.

Do you NEED portability? The iMac does have a bigger screen, I think your going for the 20 inch iMac, right?

If I was in college, and I was out and about all the time, I'd get a MacBook.

For me, I use Final Cut Studio and portability is usually something I don't need because I don't have either the $$ or the need to be on the run with a MacBook/MacBook Pro.

5. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

You do not want to edit video with FCP on a macbook, the screen is way too small.

6. Drew144 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will only be using Ilife. The screen still might be to small idk.

7. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Refurbed man! Refurbed!!

Look at the Apple store under the save tag and shop away. You can get a nice refurbished MacBook Pro for less than your 1800 limit or an iMac and MacBook combo if you shop well. If you only want one then I say MacBook Pro and use the savings to get some ram or other accessory.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you could get a Mac Pro for $1900 with edu discount. maybe even cheaper with ADC membership

9. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I know...I'm crazy....I edit with FCP (3) on a 12" Powerbook 867mhz.

If portability is an issue, then you sacrifice screen size. Other than that flip a coin.

The speed difference isn't that big, but the RAM and especially the Hard Drive is. THe more the better when editing video.

Have you thought about Final Cut Express? (It is still available isn't it?)

What are you going to be editing? Home Video, student films, weddings???

10. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I would go with the iMac also.

I have been working with some home movies on a 20" G5 iMac. The screen size is great and while the performance of iLife when editing and inserting simple transitions is very good, it does seem to take a long time to produce a DVD with iDVD or export out to DV. Get the fastest iMac you can, plus the 250GB HDD will come in handy.

11. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

The iDVD output will take some time on any machine, of course the faster the better. It's the actual encoding of the DVD that takes so long. The burning time is pretty quick depending on the length of the movie(s). It takes me roughly 8 minutes for a one hour movie with an 8x burner to burn but the encoding can take up to an hour or more depneding on the complexity.

More RAM helps too.

Turn off any programs running in the background, screen savers, and change your sleep time out to never.

If you are going to make multiple copies you can save as a disk image and use Disk Utility to burn as many copies as you need. I find this works well for me.

12. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I throw in a vote forthe iMac as a better performer and better real estate. Both wanted in the area of video editing. If you must have portability then the refurb pro as suggested may be an option, but the iMac is not like moving a G5 or MacPro...
    Go iMac and more ram...

13. Drew144 thread starter macrumors newbie

ill probably end up gettin the iMac because its obviously the smarter decision, but im goin to the apple store sunday just to make sure ;)

14. PegasusMedia macrumors member

I'm late to this thread...but here's a thought I can throw in the mix. The reason I'm late to this thread is because I have been out of town, and part of that time was spent editing in the hotel room....on an imac. Granted, it's not a laptop...but it IS quite portable. I often take mine on the road. Apart from not running on battery power, it's just a small step away from being a true portable anyway.

15. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

MacBook

You will enjoy many more hours with your computer. I have an iBook G4, and iMovie is fine. I use dreamweaver a lot, ms office apps, as well as surfing and browsing. I take it everywhere.

When your at your desk you can plug your macbook into a nice 20" ACD later when you have the cash.

16. Drew144 thread starter macrumors newbie

how big of an imac? i cant even imagine carrying around a 20" especially not a 24"... those things are HUGE!!! but that is a good idea... never realy though about doing that:)

17. PegasusMedia macrumors member

It's just a 17", and it's not hard to "carry around" at all. From house to car & car to hotel room...piece of cake. I wouldn't fly it anywhere though...but most of my travel is by car so it works very well for me. Heckuva lor cheaper than a laptop, that's for sure. The one and only drawback is the lack of battery power, and for me, that's not an issue.

18. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Macbook + cheap 20'' LCD + external HD

Portability plus two screens when you need it.

Even with the iMac, you'll still run out of HD space very quickly if you're doing many DV projects (especially if converting a pile of VHS tapes or doing HDTV) so you'll end up running an external HD anyway.

19. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you do go with the MacBook you will also want a fast external disk and a larger screen. The biggest bottle neck in performance when working with video files is (1) the speed of the disk) and (2) the amount of RAM. The reason for needing lots of RAM is so the computer does not have to acess the disk as much. So really the bottle neck is the disk.

Next is the screen. Video editing requires LOTS of screen space. A 30" ACD would be ideal. Lacking that 20" would be OK but you will go nuts trying to use a 13" display. And it's worse because the MacBook uses a wide 13" LCD and "wide" is just marking talk for when they crop the hieght down from a normal size screen to make it shorter.

But if you must edit in the feild then a notebook is the only option

20. ruftytufty macrumors member

There are special cases made for carrying iMacs:

http://ilugger.com/

You could definitely carry this on an airplane.

If you only need occasional portability, then you get much more bang for the buck with the iMac, and have money left over for external disks and other toys.

If you need to work on-the-go frequently, consider getting a MacBook (cheaper, and has an easily replaceable hard drive, which the MacBook Pro does not), and upgrade to a fast internal hard drive (I think Seagate makes 7200rpm notebook drives up to 100 or 120GB now). Maybe have enough money left over for a big monitor!