Computer game for the blind

Discussion in 'Games' started by Doctor Q, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Australian PC World article

Players wear the headphones, plus sensors on their upper arm, wrist, and the mallet used to swat at the virtual bees. The game was developed as part of a doctoral project by Makoto Ohuchi at a university north of Tokyo, and is intended as a training aid for the visually impaired.

It will be commercialized, but not for the normal gamer market. It is expected to cost thousands of dollars and be used at rehabilitation centers.

There are plenty of computer games you can play without sound, but very few you can play without sight, so I'm glad to see this research take another step in that direction.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We had to play something just like this when I was taking a psychology class. It was really hard but we actually had a blind girl in the class (not completely, but close enough, complete blindness is pretty rare) and she found it quite easy. :)

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Thats actually pretty cool. Finally, the blind can enjoy video (er, sound) games along with the rest of us. Three cheers for research! Hopefully some day we can simply go and cure blindness (and all those other pesky diseases & disabilities) and then those people can truly enjoy a good game (on their Mac of course!!!).

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

It is a good thing to know that someone thinks about blind people also.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Are there any blind followers of MacRumors... out of interest? Using VoiceOver etc or another text-to-speach application?

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I read something about a blind Starcraft guild in Korea at one time or another. Pretty damned cool.

“The Korean media has reported about two incredibly talented teenagers who actively play Starcraft…with the disadvantage of being blind. Although they are not able to see what is going on, they can build buildings, create and control units, and hotkey using their ears. The two guys (ages 16 and 18) have been playing since the year 2000 and have developed a gaming style of their own along with another 20 year old blind man.” - sclegacy.com

scem0

7. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Bionic arm brings back sense of touch

Here's another computer development for the disabled:

News link (registration may be required)
    It all makes sense, but the fact that it really works is amazing. Perhaps Luke Skywalker's replacement hand isn't such a farfetched idea after all.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Or at the very least, connect the video game directly to their brain so they 'see' the game even though they are blind. That'd be great.

9. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Thats a really good idea, I'm glad people are now trying to reduce the exclusion of people with sight problems.

Its taken a long time and I really hope more people jump on this bandwagon.

10. thecow macrumors 6502

That would be awesome!! Your "screen" could be as big as your field of vision and the image can be as sharp and as clear as you want it to be because it is hardwired into your brain. No need for that pesky system of changing electric signals into light and than back into electrical signals in your retinas. This would be neat even if you aren't blind.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There would be a bandwidth limit - you wouldn't want to overload your brain with too big a signal/data stream. But there is work being done with computer interaction with sensors worn around your head and actually a real live test subject who is a quadrapalegic with a sensor physically attached to the locations in the brain dealing with arm, hand and finger movement.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see new keyboards and such that don't require typing as we know it - they just sense things we're thinking and move/type accordingly.

D

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I saw a demonstration of a skiing game where your only connection with the computer is a set of sensors on your head. As you slalom down the slope, you think "left" or "right" and your character moves left or right. It's not really sensing word meanings: You start by training the system to recognize whatever brainwaves you emit and it notes the distinction between your "left" and "right" thoughts, so it can recognize the difference as you play and obey them after the training period.

13. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Once they make make this bioport (which i'm eagerly awaiting) you won't even have to worry about screen size. You'll have 360° vision all over, if your brain can handle it ;).

What resolution does your brain handle?
    ;) :D

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I doubt any computer has a graphics card big enough to play a game with a resolution that would overload your brain. We see in FAR higher than HD.

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

close to cureing blindness already implant a very special complicated camera in the human eye wire it to the brain so far it has progressed to people who were once totally blind can easily see the difference between dark and light and they percive a vague sense of color. 20-30 years they think they can give blind people super vision ohh how the tables have turned... :rolleyes:

16. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

This is a really cool advancement. Glad to see that advancements are being made for those less able in society. What kind of headphones will they be using, out of curiousity?