Computer Hardware Design

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NotFound, Jan 4, 2007.

1. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Computer Hardware Design?

If I wanted to go to school to study about hardware design, what field would I major in? I can't seem to find the specific category, I guess...

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Depends on what you mean. It's no longer 'Computer Hardware Designer' as such - every separate major piece of silicon on a PC these days is almost a discipline unto itself. There are many degrees which cover electronics design combined with computer science in general, which would undoubtedly get you an 'in' to the field. Or do you mean industrial design?

3. NotFound thread starter macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I guess Industrial Design would be more like it.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

In that case I think you know what courses to look for ;)

5. NotFound thread starter macrumors 6502a

NotFound

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Industrial Design covers it.

Unless you want to be a design engineer - which is what I am in essence in part of my job. The difference is that ID is more about form, and DE is more about function.

I mean, if you were to try and separate both categories, both are about design but the Industrial Designer is more about Design & Form, while the Design Engineer is more about Function + Form because s/he understands more about the nuts & bolts of the processes involved. A DE with less talent however understands less about form than an ID but is probably able to create a better product from a functional sense.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Are you talking about designing the look and feel of computer hardware, or the actual electronics (CPUs, motherboards, etc)?

Computer Engineering is the major that focuses on designing computers. It is basically Electrical Engineering without much focus on analog design but with more programming/computer science.