computer lags when playing....

Discussion in 'Games' started by slipper, May 5, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

my computer lags big time when im playing games. particularly in starcraft, in campaign scenes with lots of men and shooting. i have a 12" G4 iBook maxed with 640mb ram. what could be causing the lag?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

um, increased cpu load from the game?

OS X multitasks very well, but there's only finite amount of computing resources to go around...

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Probably the only thing that you can do to lessen the lag is to get a hard drive which spins faster--either 5400 or 7200 rpm.

4. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

so in otherwords, crappy computer?

this sucks, my friends 2.0ghz P4 w/ 128mb ram plays games better than my computer

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

crappy computer for gaming, yes...

the game itself is partially to blame, as i believe it's not as well optimized for Macs.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Blame the G4 and its lack of speed,lack of bus,lack of real DDR usage,in otherwords its great for grandma and the internet but if you want to game it sucks.........hence ever declining marketshare for Apple and its G4 marriage. the chip that nearly killed Apple the pod maker.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Laptop computers aren't usually great at gaming because long battery life and light weight are the strong points for them. You don't achieve those goals with heavy duty hard drives, graphics hardware, and ultimate (for the moment) processing power.

Games for Macintosh are rarely streamlined but some work better than others, such as those from id software.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Guys, we're talking about Starcraft ! That game is old. It required only a 90 Mhz PPC 603e back in the day!

Make sure you have the latest OS X patch from blizzard.com and try again. If you're still having performance problems, just tell Blizzard to do a better patch job by sending in a bug report. Personally, I have never had any slow down with the OS X patch, so I'm starting to get the idea that you've been playing the game in Classic or something.

9. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Oops, yea, your right...he better go and download the patch:
    http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msc0411p

Here are the system requirments:
    Macintosh
    PowerMac or Compatible
    16 MB RAM
    System 7.6 or higher
    256 Color, 640x480 Display or Better
    Double-Speed CD-ROM
    (Quad Speed for Cinematics)

I think the G4 iBook would be more than enough :)

10. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Says you, DHM.

I'm sitting here playing UT2004 and Warcraft 3 on my 17 inch 1.5GHz G4 powerbook.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

congrats on the new machine with the old cpu. ;) but really the G4 is fine for a laptop but in a desk top its time has gone if you are looking for high performance. got your settings maxed out? or did you have to turn things down?? UT2003 does pretty well with my 1.47 at med setting and 10 bots.

12. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

my apologies! i meant to type Halo. but yeah, i do have starcraft with the OSX patch :D

13. applekid macrumors 68020

That makes all the difference! :D

I'm assuming it has a Radeon 9200 Mobility. Well, that card isn't that great for playing Halo, to be honest. You can try turning down a lot of the settings, but I'll doubt that'll make things that much better. There's not much you can do except get a new computer.

I think Apple could make the 9200 drivers a little better. IMHO, it seems since the card is pretty new for Apple, they aren't giving it all they've got yet. But, I'm probably wrong.

14. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Guys he has a freakin' G4 (between high-end Pentium 3 to mid range Pentium 4) in there. There should be no reason for it to lag, ANYWHERE. Heck, even my p1 233 could play the campaign scenes fine.

This seems more of a HD fragmentation issue (since it pulls the scenes from HD to RAM to video card i presume), or even a video card driver issue. You certainly have enough RAM, so that is not the source of the problem.

jxyama: Since Blizzard developed the game, I don't think software optimization is a problem at all, look at how Warcraft2 and even WC3 have been released for both platforms...and I believe GFraizer said that WC3 ran BETTER on the G5's...so SC on the G4 should never been an issue.

15. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Settings maxed out on games like Warcraft 3, Ghost Recon, and AAO... :D

Still waiting for that iMac G5, DHM? :p ;) :D

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well that explains it and again G4 doesnt have the muscle for Halo and Halo is poor code so choose your poison. I use my copy of Halo as a coaster, worst port i had bought in a while. shame on MacSoft for not finishing & polishing what could have been a great game. More bugs then a tropical rain forest and more things wrong then George's domestic policies.

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

the PC version is great....

I can only run full detail settings at 1024, but that's what my 17" monitor on the PC looks best at anyway, so I have effectively double the xbox experience, plus i get FREE online gaming and a keyboard and mouse combo that the xboxers would all die for...

18. AzN101 macrumors newbie