Computer locking up / screen showing lines

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by juicedus, Oct 18, 2005.

1. juicedus macrumors member

Nov 29, 2004
    in a van down by the river
    Hey guys,

My brothers powerbook (15" 1.25) is acting screwy. After replacing his RAM and hard drive the computer will lock up and the screen will just fade lines. The RAM was kingston and has been returned for new ones a couple of times. He finally put the standard Smasung RAM (512) that comes stock and KBYTE RAM (256). He's run hardware tests and it either comes back clean or locks up during the hardware test. My question is do you guys think that it is either bad RAM or a fried video card?

Attached Files:

2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Remove the KBYTE RAM and see if the problems persists. If so, then it's probably your video card. That doesn't look too good... :eek:
  3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2005
    Ouch. Did you screw something up replacing the hard drive?
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hmm, mine doesn't show lines but my 1.25Ghz PB has also recently started playing up occasionally (well, twice now)

It locks up suddenly (no beachball warning) and the screen goes 'hazy' then it starts to fade to black from the upper right corner and fade to white on the lower left corner. The sound repeats whatever the last tone was so you get a 'bom, bom, bom, bom, bom' effect and the only solution appears to be a hard reset.

My 3rd party RAM had been in for a year before it started and having run Memtest on it, it passes quite happily even on a triple-run test. I still have warranty on it until February so I might take it into the Apple store and see what they suggest since it's happend more than once.
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Applespider, have you tried the usual? Reset PRAM and PMU?

Also, bad RAM has been known to hold off for a year before wrecking things. Plus those hardware tests are mediocre at best. So don't rule out bad RAM just yet. :)