Computer majors?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rob587, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Hi guys,
    I will be going to college soon and I am thinking about what I should major in. I dont know about that many majors involving computers, but I do know what I dont want to do. I dont really want to build computers in the physical sense and I dont really want to be a programer. Im pretty creative, and I love music. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should look into? Also, what are some of the highest paying jobs concerning comps? just curious. Thanks :)

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Possibly something with Multimedia or music production.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

why is coding a turnoff? just not you? (just wondering)
    and do you know about all the other stuff out there like microe and computer engineering? theres more to computers than building them and writing software for them :)
    Maybe if you were interested in coding you could work for Apple or something, working on apps like Garageband and Logic or hardware like the iPod...

Or you could work for a magazine like MacAddict? :p

Anyway, i've found that the College Board's website is half useful with links like http://www.collegeboard.com/apps/careers/index ...except dont pay attention to the earnings as theyre pretty old...just for the descriptions

For the more recent stuff check out the US Bureau of Labor Statistics website @ http://www.bls.gov/

4. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

well I like the idea of being able to design programs and Im pretty familiar with html, c++, and java, but I also feel that all that that would be is memorizing and it seems like it woulld be alot of work and very stressful. I may be completely wrong though becuase I havnt really looked into what it entails. I really like music and movies though, but then I couldnt work for apple :(

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I would suggest Visual Effects or Motion Graphics. I am currently at Northwest Missouri State University double majoring in Interactive Digital Media - Computer Science and Visual Imagining. I also looked at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, and would probably be there if finances had allowed. You seem like you might really enjoy a job developing Flash Applications which have lots of graphics and some small simple programming.

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I want a job with computers that I could have a chance to make good money in, but it is also important that I somewhat like it aswell. I would almost say the money is more important becuase I will generally be happy with any career concerning computers, but if there is a major that will give me both that would be awsome. Would the majors that you suggested give me that? Anyone have any others? also let me know what career possabilities there are with the majors. THANKS ALOT GUYS! I feel dumb. :(

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

maybe if you try it for a bit you'll find out what it feels like?
    its not really purely memorization, nor is it a lot of work and only when you have crazy deadlines (classes, jobs) does it feel stressful. all you need is a little bit of practice, and seeing as how you're familiar with java, learning other languages wont be too terribly hard
    to me, coding feels more like an enjoyable challenge than anything else, so I dont think i can do it for a living because that would totally ruin it for me.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Don't feel dumb, I had alot of questions too, and I still don't think I've answered all of mine because I couldn't tell you where I see myself working and doing upon graduation. College is probably one of your biggest investments right up there with house and children. You don't want to waste 4+ years and 40-100,000 dollars because you felt 'too dumb to ask'! I think that the best thing to do, if you don't know exactly what you want to do with computers is go to a University that will open you to many different fields rather than going to a technical school, a.k.a. Art Institutes and the like that will lock you into your first choice.

I don't know if you've had a part-time job, but I will tell you from experience that no pay or incentive will get you past a job that you really don't like. The most important part of a job is enjoying it as you will probably be spending most of your waking hours at it or thinking about it.

Feel free to IM me, and I'll try to answer questions as I can.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

10. Aaon macrumors 6502

Computer Science - Not for the Feint of Heart

Heya, Rob. Just wanted to add my two pennies to this converstaion. I have degrees in computer science and electrical enginering, and I think the computer science was definitely a lot of fun. There is much more to computer science than programming. A computer scientist knows what really makes a computer work. There is study of the basics of architecture, of the design of operating systems, of the fundamentals of computing down to each binary bit. Computer science asks you to think about the essence of computation, it asks you to examine the logic behind basic math, and the way in which we interact with the world.

Now, that being said, there is no way to get out of a computer science course without doing a significant amount of programming. Like an artist uses a paintbrush, a computer scientist uses code. Melodramatic, well, maybe a little bit. :p So if you really don't want to code, computer science is not the field to get into. Speaking for myself though (as obviously I am the only person I could speak for), it was a great experience.

Hope that offers some insight, though perhaps it doesn't help you much!

Aaron

P.S. - On the money issue, I have friends who make a lot, like my friend who just started at Microsoft at $70,000 a year. On the flipside there are those like me, who are subjecting themselves to an additional 5 years of schooling so that we can put letters after our names on business cards. :p

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

aw god are you joking? :p
    the whole tech support thing is a disaster because everyone's outsourcing, and on top of that the salary isnt amazingly great and its something that'll give you a headache, unless youre good at dealing with lots of anger, frustration and laughter ;)

12. Aaon macrumors 6502

hehe, yeah, I have to agree. I did two summers of tech support. Some days it was fun. I have some great stories of people formatting their hard drives and then asking where their data went. But most days I would go home frustrated and tired, and convinced that i did not want to make a life's work out of it!

Aaron

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

sweet aaon, do you have any universities you recommend, maybe on the west coast?
    going to be a sophomore next year and need to start thinking about colleges i want to go to, and all I'm interested right now are all on the east coast (ie rochester institute of technology, carnegie mellon, rensselaer).
    and i'm considering double majoring in compsci and psychology :)

14. Aaon macrumors 6502

Well, here's a couple....

Well, off the bat you named two schools that came to mind, those being Carnegie and Rensselaer. MIT is another east coast school that comes to mind. Stanford is supposed to have an excellent computer science/engineering program, and U.C. Berekley is very well regarded. Not sure how much more I can tell you there. I personally went to the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. Small school, very personal attention, though not exactly the coolest location (town of 10,000 people in the middle of the desert)!

Sorry I can't be of more help than that, it's been a while since I really hunted for computer science programs. I am working on a PhD. in electrical engineering now, though the computer science background has come in very handy in my work.

Aaon

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

ah thanks :) yeah, stanford and berkeley are two big ones, but stanford is unbelievably expensive and berkeley is just too damned hard to get into :p maybe if i get a scholarship... :p

16. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it has majorly(no pun intended) helped me understand some of the majors alot better. My main concern is that I am not very good with math, so I really dont want to have to deal with calculus. I am also pretty creative. Im pretty good at things like language and history and I was thinking about majoring in political science and going to law school, but then I dont get to really work with my passion, which is computers. Just keep listing your Ideas and what careers could come from them. I APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH. Its great to be able to discuss this stuff with people who have been there b4.(unlike a guidence counselor)

17. Aaon macrumors 6502

You know, its interesting that you mention that. My favorite class that I took during my computer science program was actually a class called "Ethics of Computer Science." It explored the ethical issues surrounding computers, intellectual property, pirating, etc. It was fascinating. I have often thought it would be neat to get a law degree and do some technology law. There is a huge world of information out there, and the current law barely scratches at the issues involved in the furthering of technology. Just something to think about.

Aaron

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

math is pretty important :(
    what is it about calc you dislike? just wondering, if you've taken a class or anything
    had to learn a tad to take ap calc next year and it seems interesting :)

and you know, you can always double major if you really want to, or just minor in political science and then go to law/med/grad school, whatever you want to do... :)

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

lawrence lessig.
    edit: interestingly enough, he's a big mac user :)
    check out the link, its to his bio. big big big big cyberlaw guy :)

20. Aaon macrumors 6502

Yeah, he is a big force in the world of intelectual property, etc.

And if i'm not mistaken, thats an Apple LCD he's looking at in the photo on that page! :p

Aaron

Edit: Yeah, ok, you noticed that too :)

21. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Rob587,

Reading your posts remind me of myself 4 years ago. I was a HS senior with tons of creativity, a love for movies and music, and a love for computers. I thought about a computer science/engineering major, but ultimately I decided to become a communications major.

In August I will begin my senior year of college. As a communications major, I took classes in Advertising, Public Relations, Online Media, and Video and Film Production. I get to be creative, make music and movies, and I get to work in fields that embrace Macs! Plus, communications majors are skilled in multiple areas, something employeers love. My university (see my location) trains communications majors to become future CCO's (Chief Creative Officers) of corporations. In today's business world, creativity is embraced with much enthusiasm.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your education!

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

hah actually i didnt even notice the apple LCD...i remembered the wired article i read about him a long long time ago and how they mentioned he uses a powerbook in his classes for his lectures :)
    god his books are awesome, although Code is a tad dated, its still very interesting and makes the user think about whatever he's discussing. :)

23. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I deffinatley think I will become a lawyer, but in college I will also minor or dbl major(not sure about whats really involved with both) in somthing like comp sci or communications or somthing so that maybee one day after law school I could apply to comp companies(apple chough chough) and try to be a company lawyer or help them with all of the legal issues that they have to deal with everyday, and if that doesnt work out ill just be a trial lawyer. Thanks for ur help guys... any ideas about my second major or minor that I should complete in the computer areas to do what I am trying to accomplish?

24. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Well, the trend these days is also to outsource programming, system design, and IS support. So the days where tech support was the soul target of outsourcing are gone.

25. 7on macrumors 601

7on

When I mention tech support I'm thinking of schools or towns of <10000. Not exactly out sourcing material. Maybe I meant IT personal more.