Computer Name / User Name

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by DeadlyBreakfast, May 15, 2003.

1. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

Anybody know how to change the default user name in OSX so it doesnt appear when prompted for loggin in to an SMB share or so it wont appear in the terminal. Basically I want to remove my name from anywhere on the computer. It might be going to my little prother so I have an excuse to get a 12" PowerBook...hehehehe..

Thanks!

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

options:

A-make a new admin account with his name and then delete your user account under his log in

B-completely re-install the OS (my favorite choice: it gets rid of all the files that you may have installed that could possibly bog down the system)

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

almost forgot...in order to change the computer name, with option A, go to the sharing preference pane in the system preferences, it's the first text field.

4. DeadlyBreakfast thread starter macrumors regular

5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I could never understand why the name of your computer is in the sharing section of the System Prefs. I think putting it in "General" makes more sense. Why did Apple put it there?

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

it was put in the sharing pref because only people that are looking at your computer from a network see the name of your computer...makes sense to me