Computer ownership in 10.2.8!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Torroni, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Torroni macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2004
    Hi guys,

I need a little help with the ownership details in Mac OS 10.2.8.

I have recently sold my current computer to a friend but have been unable to change the 'owner' of the computer, i.e. at the login screen it still says 'Joe Blogg's Computer'

Is there a way to modify this other than completley re-installing the system? I have already deleted my original admin account and created a new one with the correct name but this has no effect on the login screen.

Hope you can help ;-)
  2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    it's in a very odd place...
    system preferences --> sharing preference pane...
    right at the top you'll see computer name...

and you can take out the "'s Computer" so that you can just call your computer by his/her name, in my case "Maximillian"

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    Reality are you sure that changes the short name? I saw something similar in another Thread. I'm thinking wiping the HD and reformatting is the best anyway, give your bud a fresh pallet to work on. ;)
  4. phillymjs macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    Changing the computer name in the Sharing prefpane has absolutely nothing to do with user accounts.

If you want to change the shortname associated with an account, I just posted instructions on how to do that here.

If you've sold the computer to a buddy, though, I'd recommend nuking the drive and reinstalling everything from scratch so he's starting fresh and can set it up his way with his apps.