Computer science majors find jobs easily

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Information Technology is a promising career area, at least according to a seminar at UTEP.
    Hey, wait a minute! What's wrong with being a geek and sitting at a computer all day? That's the goal for some of us! :)
  2. jholzner macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    "Hanny said IBM is making a big push to get Hispanics involved in computer science."

Is this so they can pay them $.30/hour?
  3. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    most people who want to do anything computer related (UK) require 3 A's at a level. that is no picnic.

all the people who will be big in computer science will be in either california or india in the next 20 years, i think.....but i dont know:D
  4. jim. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2004
    C-ville, VA
    You know, I wonder about companies making statements like that, and how much truth is really in your remark. Is it because they want a more diverse environment? Or is it just because white males are generally paid more, and they can save money on wages with hispanics and women? Or am I just so negative that I only see the conspiracies in things these days?

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Or you stay over here and drink tea all day with the occasional bit of game/chip dev :D
  6. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sure that's part of it, there's definitely a glass ceiling for women and minorities, so pushing more people into computer science would allow companies to hire more low level workers they can pay less, and then pay their higher-up WASP male workers more.
  7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I would like to believe that their intent is to hire Hispanics to help them penetrate the Hispanic technology sector with products and services. It IS the fastest growing demographic in the US.