computer slows over time

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ja Di ksw, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    I've noticed that my powerbook is slowing down the longer I've had it. In OS 9, rebuilding the desktop helped with this, is there something similar in Panther? Thanks
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    try repairing permissions in the applications ->utilities -> disk utility application

you could also download programs that could automate this process for you as well as run other maintenance scripts

you can get them on
  3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Also, if you always put your computer to sleep at night, the cron jobs never get executed. You should download a program to do this for you. Check out this thread for some programs to choose from.
  4. oldfart macrumors member

Jul 30, 2004
    Try the Disk Utility located in the Applications Folder under Utilities.
    I drag the icon to the dock and keep it there. Saves me a trip.

You could also try downloading "OnyX" or "Cocktail". This will allow you to run the many "Scripts" and purge caches and other "stuff" including repairing of permissions.

Take a look at the disk space you have available on your HD. If it's filling up close to capacity, this will cause weird slowdowns also. Try to keep about a 1Gig free.
  5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    Thanks, I tried using Onyx. It worked, and some things seem better, though my applications that start up automatically when I turn the pb on take a long time now. Maybe that'll go away. In any case, its nice to know that I can keep my computer healthy now.