computer to computer transfer via USB

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by NusuniAdmin, Jun 4, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Can you do computer to computer transfer via USB? I know you can do this with firewire. The reason I ask is when i get my new emac i dont want to have to spend 30+ bux on a firewire card for my beige (plus a stupid cable). And since i already have usb card on it, a usb to usb transfer would be great. The reason i am doing this, for you curious ones, is because i am going to install 10.1 and 10.2 on my beige and ill have 10.3 on my emac. This will be for my software testing and such. Ill probly also make a partiton on the beige hd for backup of my emac files, so a direct connection would be nice.

The only ways I have thought of doing this is a usb to usb transfer, or get a usb zip (which i am going to need anyways, i have tons of things backed on zip, but current drive is scsi). I would use cd-r but dont want to waste that many of them (guess i could always do multi-session burns, although I have had terrible luck with those). And cd-rw....i have had horrible luck with them, they have NEVER worked for me at all (and i've tried several different brands).
  2. macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Good news/bad news. The good news is that you can network 2 computers via USB. The bad news is that you'll need a special cable for it, which will probably cost more than a firewire card. Plus it's a hell of a lot slower.

Just get the firewire card.
  3. macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Use ethernet. Much faster. Get a cross-over cable (though I've heard you don't need them, regular will work. I still prefer cross-over). I suppose USB could work, but even if it did it would be painfully slow.
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
  5. macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I will say that FireWire will be much faster than Ethernet, unless its gigabit ethernet. If your networking 1 Macs together you don't need a crossover cable because Macs have a special ethernet port in them that crosses the signal over when needed. It works too! I've tired it!
  6. macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    I have my g4 powermac on a router , which hooks up my mac , two ps2's and soon to be my brothers new g5 hopefully in August. When my friend brings his pc over to transfer major film we shoot i hook him up via ethernet cable and becaseu the router is like networking our computers we transfer at like 800-5mb/s
  7. macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I suggest getting a 100BaseT card for the Beige I got this one. it works, and it's less expensive than any of the FireWire cards there. It's also much faster than the 10BaseT that's built in on the beige, not to mention going by USB ;)