Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
Prey is a project that provides theft protection software designed to help you recover your system if ever lost or stolen. Prey is a freemium service, i.e.: they offer both free and paid plans.

I've put a lot of work into my PowerBook G4 and having it stolen would suck, so I modified Prey to work with the PowerPC. This release is based on the original Prey v0.5.3 DMG that has been edited to fix a few issues and update it to v0.6.4. This release was installed and tested on a PowerMac G4 running OS X v10.5.8 - Leopard (mine :)).

What works:
1) Report / Action frequency can be configured from Prey web console
2) Alarm's can be remotely triggered from Prey web console
3) Pop-up (on screen) messages can be remotely sent from Prey web console
4) Device can be locked remotely (using a custom password) from Prey web console
5) Hardware (device) information is uploaded (visible in Prey web console)
6) When reported Stolen / Missing – Reports including Hardware information, Public IP address and Screen capture (visible in Prey web console)​

What doesn't work:
1) Map on "Map and Actions" selection
2) Location on Stolen / Missing report​

What wasn’t tested:
1) Camera (G4 doesn’t have one)​

How to install:
1) Download the DMG and run the Prey Installer
2) If using an outbound firewall the following traffic must be permitted
  • from ping - ICMP to www.google.com
  • from curl - TCP 80 to checkip.dyndns.org & www.google.com & control.preyproject.com
  • from curl - TCP 443 to control.preyproject.com & legacy.preyproject.com
PPC v0.4 is available here -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qulusnvop8dn6im/prey-0.6.4-ppc.dmg?dl=0

PS: If you installed Beta v0.2, I recommend you download v0.4. Run the Prey uninstaller before running the v0.4 installer.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmazingHenry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.