Computer will not start up

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by EJBasile, Dec 5, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hi everyone,

I have a dell desktop (yea i know, a PC), and i went to turn it on today and it would not startup. It would have the fan spin up but less than 5 seconds laters it would turn off. I pressed the power button again and eventually the fan would go for 1 second and then power down. There is nothing on the screen or any other kind of indications of the problem.

Thanks,
    EJB

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Solution:

Toss it out a third story window and buy a Mac.

Alternate Solution:

It sounds like your power supply or fan is shot - you need to take it somewhere for repair.

3. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

what have you learned from this experience my friend?

4. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I know I know, I'm going to sell it and get a powerbook, powermac or iMac, I just can't make up my mind.

5. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Check all connections and cables

If this doses not do anything then....

Try resetting the bios - remove the side panel - I am assuming that you have a modern Dell Tower. Dells tend to have a button that you press and they come apart - there may a a peice of metal at the back to slide across before the thing comes apart - This is for a security lock.

Dell Desktops come apart in a similar way,

Next locate the clock battery on the motherboard - and somewhere near it their should be a little jumper move this from its current setting (pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 say).

Switch on the Dell - and nothing should happen.

Now move the jumper back to its previous position and close the case up and start up.

And it should boot up.

You may now have to go into the bios and change some settings.

If it is still dead - Is it under waranty - if so contact DELL.

It could be any of the following if still not booting

Dead CPU
    Dead Motherboard
    Dead PSU or faulty
    Dead Graphics Card.

:rolleyes:

6. Apple //e macrumors 6502

umm....call dell service if you have warantee. if you dont, go to a pc forum and ask for help. all youll get here is "we told you to get a mac!!"

7. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

It started to work again, just randomly, unfortunatly, it has no warrennty left on it. I WILL GET A MAC. Why else do I come to this website??

Just sorta random but my Dell has a case design similar to the powermac G4, you press down two buttons and the case flips open. Everything is really open in the inside. Compared to many PCs, its a very neat computer.

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Decide QUICK and "SELL the DELL" before it stops working again!

Be rest assured that if you sell the Dell and it stops working for the buyer they will just think it is a "quality" PC and won't hold it against you! :rolleyes: