computers crashing macs vs pc

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Apr 16, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

hey I've had this mac for about four years now. Anyway I don't think I've ever had it crash. A guy I lived with this year had his computer crash several times in six months, but I can't tell if that's something he did. Well you probably guessed he has a PC, but to the topic, does your computer ever crash? Do you find PC's crash more?
    -nathan

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Ever since I upgraded to WinXp and now Sever 2003, I don't have any "crashes". I only get the BSOD when I am overclock too much.

I do get hang ups every now and then but I can usually get around them without rebooting.

Of course I am very careful not to install spyware and drivers that would screw up my system. Not to mention, I try to stay virus free.

**Back in the Win98 days, I had crashes on a daily basis...

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Play a little RTCW and you will have the wonderful experience sooner or later.

4. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Since replacing the faulty stick of ram in my XP box at work about three months ago it hasn't crashed. Can't say I can remember my PowerBook crashing but my G4 completely locked up a couple weeks ago when I was playing RtCW whilst downloading the latest Slackware distro, I couldn't even ssh in and start killing threads...

5. coopdog macrumors 6502a

The thing about XP is that every driver, program, install, everything runs so poorly with eachother. That is why I have to wipe my XP drive more than once a year. Every little thing you install even if it is well known and safe, ****s with other programs and drivers. Eventualy it takes 3 min to start up when 30 sec is on a clean drive and **** just stops working. OS X is much better in sence. You don't need 30 differen't drivers and installing programs doesn't **** OS X up.

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I got my Mac in November, and have been using Final Cut Pro extensively, Photoshop, InDesign, Office Vx, folding, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and OSX has NEVER crashed on me. Not once. Individual apps crash sometimes, but the system remains intact, as far as I can see. I'm very impressed.

Before this, I was using a self-built 1GHz Duron PC with XP. It crashed on occasion. It is much better than 98, which crashed on a regular basis.

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

my mac crashes about once every 6 months or so. the 'power screen of death' from a kernal crash or whatever. it usually happens when i plug or unplug USB devices and i guess it confuses the system. compare that with the peecee i use at work where i have to restart it every day at lunch and turn it off every evening otherwise the system will crash once or twice a day. thats under heavy use with autocad, but still when i use my peecee at home (which i dont do very often) it still crashes for no apparent reason.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My winXP box crashed 1 time about a year ago. My ibook with panther crashed for the 1st time last week. My linux box has never crashed in 5 years. I don't even restart more than once every 3 to 6 months.

9. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

For those using PC or mac, have you ever hard hard drive problems? I've been keeping my computer on during the whole school year. I put it to sleep at night. Anyway, I haven't had any problems but have heard various things from differnet people, like about how long the hard drive will last. I've now gotten so much music that I've been thinking of trying to save for an external drive but i don't know if I want to do that since I don't even know what brands are good etc. -n

10. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well my IBM drive started squealing (but not clicking), so I sent it back. Still got 2 years warranty, so if it happens again, haha.

This may be more on your personal experience than anything, but I would stick to only Western Digital or Seagate. Maxtor/Hitachi (or IBM) are a bit more iffy, and sometimes they are considerably cheaper. I wish I had never bought the IBM drive b/c I always worry about these things. Oh well.

*There's also the issue of cooling. Do not expect a cramped case with several hard drives to last that long. Putting a single 80mm fan, don't even matter if its only 24cfms, will probably double, maybe even triple its life. I don't know how well the cooling is in the MDD's, Quicksilvers, but i know the G5's got a dedicated fan on thsoe SATA drives.

11. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Windows 98 use to crash all the time simply pulling up a web site could crash it. My computer has never crashed in over a year since I switched to XP except for a HD crash which was under warantee.

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I can't speak for MAC's because I use them at school. I found my PC's crashed on a regular basis until I loaded XP. It hasn't crashed once in 2 years. (Knock on wood).

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Thats usually not a problem. When you put your computer to sleep at night, the hard drive turns off, so its the same as shutting it down. Don't even worry about it if you're not leaving it running 24/7 doing video editing.

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

We've got XP Pro on our "main" home computer - it'll bluescreen once every few weeks. Invariably the reported error is an interrupt issue - my guess is interrupt sharing will occasionally bork up. (As an aside - I'm not sure why XP insists on using interrupt sharing w/ PCI devices even when there are more than enough IRQs to go around, but anyway...)

On my Powerbook I'd say I've seen a kernel panic maybe once every month or two.

Frankly I think both of these OSes are plenty stable for a home box (although I much prefer OS X in terms of the end user experience).

15. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Some arguments state that computers go thru most of their wear and tear during the warm up proceedures and leaving them on 24/7 actually extend their life. Problem is it also increases the risk of them being hit by power surges via electrical problems, car accidents, and lightning storms.

16. dirge6 macrumors newbie

With all my systems, the only crashes I get are usually caused by software. My iBook G4 has crashed a couple of times in Unison, when I tried to decode a certain file off of a newsgroup. Out of the 6 PCs I usually use (4 at home, 2 at work), my main system at home has crashed a couple of times from seeking to a certain point in DivX encoded movies. 3 of them are XP Pro systems, 2 of them are Linux, and 1 of them is Server2k3. I've gotten kernel panics in Linux before, but that's not really surprising since I run Gentoo. Macs definitely have an advantage due to the fact that the hardware is controlled for the most part. In a PC, if you fill it with crappy hardware, you're going to have a piece of crap system. As for the post above about IRQ sharing in XP, it detects the BIOS type when you install it. If you have what XP detects as an ACPI compliant BIOS it will install the ACPI hardware abstraction layer and it will share IRQs (usually on 11) and there is nothing you can do about it except change the HAL. IRQ sharing doesn't USUALLY cause problems with 2k and XP, but it had issues under 9x.

17. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Yeah that is the funny part when Mac users complain about their "bad PC experiences". I am guessing that easily over 50% of that is from bad/cheap hardware (the 1980's Compaq/Packard Bell experience, and for the 1990's the eMachine (and in some cases Dell) experiences). And then some people may even consider buying Mom/Pop built ones, not even take a look at the components, and expect it to run perfectly (oh and be less than a grand too).

So from the consumer perspective, definitely, Apple users do not have to be as knowledgeable about what they are buying b/c everything is strictly controlled.

Old BIOSes can wreak havoc if you don't realize there's an update available. Take for example my Asus KT133 Via board. I bought it cutting edge, so i already KNEW there were gonna be subsequent updates. However, others not as tech savvy may just expect it to be flowers/daisies when running cutting edge, when in reality updating the BIOS can be crucial, if not the most important task in dealing with cutting edge hardware (and maintaining stability).

*for this reason, many many PC hardware/tweaking sites have posted articles warning newbies/novices NOT to buy cutting edge hardware until it has been tested for a few months by more experienced users (who can inform the rest of us about problem/solutions).

Random reboot problems were solved in one of many BIOS updates for my KT133, which is one of the reasons I laugh when people will inexplicably scape-goat the blame on the OS without a second thought. Honestly how do you know? The same with KPs on the Mac. How do you know if it is hardware or software or a combination of both?

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My only problem with XP has been that the scanner on my scanner/printer/copier doesn't work... I believe we determined it was because the printer was made/purchased prior to XP and is not exactly compatible with it so we have to use the USB port... for some reason that screws up the scanner part of it... *sigh*

19. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

actually I learned the hard way never update my XP on the day that updates come out. In fact wait a week or two first. Sometimes the updates can mess you up worse than not doing them. In fact right now windows updates want me to update my drivers to older drivers because I updated straight from the manufacturers web site.

20. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

my friend has a old Canon scanner from the Windows 98 days, working just fine. It occasionally does bring down Photoshop with it though (as I have seen this in person, pretty silly actually). I guess that is the problem of it being a '98 component.

Slyhunter: Never update hardware drivers from Windows Update. Unless its a hard to find monitor driver (.inf, took me forever to find on NEC's site), then you should just ignore it. You should only download the critical updates, and even then, I haven't gotten them all yet.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

yes and no

for the average user who is not a computer techie, then yes, i would say the mac is more stable

right now i have os 9.0 and 9.2 on my macs and windows 98 on my pc...inherently the macs are more stable but when windows 98 is properly tinkered with (either by a hardware tech or programmer, or both), then it could be made to be as stable or more stable than the mac os versions in the os 9 family

but os x is far more stable than any version of windows i have come across and now that os x is the sole supported operating system from apple, it can be said, for now, the macs are more stable than any pc's sold today (which would be sold with windows xp or windows 2000)

22. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

There are 4 interupts on the PCI bus (A,B,C,D). If you have a card in slot 1 and slot 5, then they share interupt. This is typical, but may not be absolutely true for all motherboards.

23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

yep...this is one of the reasons that the very first PCI card you install, I would strongly recommend being the 3rd slot. If you have 2 cards, then the 2nd and 4th. If you have a huge AGP card though, the 2nd PCI slot might be awfully close...however, these days I don't see a reason for using more than 2 PCI slots (LAN onboard for nForce2...no modem needed anymore, SBlive is on the 3rd, and only b/c I didn't buy deluxe for the onboard Soundstorm chip).

24. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Actually, I'd strongly suggest ignoring their suggested hardware driver updates. They don't always seem to get the hardware quite right.

I found this out after not paying close enough attention - I let Windows Update install new drivers for my daughter's D-Link WiFi card. The D-Link used a TI chipset, and WU said "Oh! You've got a TI wireless card that is using old drivers!" :D

I guess the real moral of the story is "read the fine print BEFORE saying yes". ;)

25. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Haven't owned a Mac yet but I own 2 laptops (XP/2K), 1 desktop(XP), 1 server(2003), and 1 desktop at work(XP)

I think since I moved to the Windows NT kernel back 97 I crashed twice on NT.

Migrating to Windows 2000 back in Feb of 2000 I think I can count on 1 hand how many times I've crashed. (And in those cases it usually me dicking with drivers or hardware.)

Since migrating most of my systems to XP summer of ’03 I've never crashed. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Natta.

I don't care what anyone says XP and OS X are now on equal footing in regards to stability as far as I'm concerned, security is another matter, but the key is that you NEED to know what you are doing on Windows to get it to that point and NEVER use OEM installs of a Windows OS. NEVER. They load so much crap that invariably the OS will implode at some point. I can't tell you how many times I've had a friend, relative, or someone at work come to me pissed that their Dell is being a PITA after only a few weeks of owing it. After charging them 20 bucks, (Relatives get the discount rate of FREE.) I backup all their files, reformat the drive, reinstall the OS, install Mozilla FireBird now called Firefox (Slap them for using internet exploder.) and do some core tweaking they typically are happy with their system. Windows may be many a thing. A good out of the box user experience is NOT one of them.