Computers Disposal

Discussion in 'Community' started by Patmian212, May 9, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey everyone,
    I am doing some research for school work. I would like to know what all of you do with old computers which no longer function. Do you throw them away? Do you keep them? Do you recycle them? I am especially interested in the answers of the European members since in the USA most people usually recycle them, in RadioShack.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Hope you guys help me to get a good grade ;) !
    Patmian212

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I have yet to throw away my first mac ;)
    As for PC's: i take out the stuff that might be usefull and compatible with any other PC around the house (network, HD, grafix, RAM) in case the original dies.
    The cases and other parts go to the 'container park' (as we call it) where they get recycled. Spare parts will end up there as well when/if i have no more possible use for them.
    Parts left at the container park get recycled by recupel.

Good luck with your research.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I dunno why but I hold onto the Macs until they're about ten years old and then throw them out. As for the PCs, they get chucked as soon as I stop using them - generally after about four or five years. I don't even know if there is a computer recycling company in Australia. :( If there is, they certainly don't advertise or anything.

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I bring mine to the local recycling center. They take pretty much anything...

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm from the US, and I would never recycle a computer. I sell it, or rebuild it, or use it from something. If I can't get anything out of it, I trash it. I really don't believe in recycling (we'll save that for another thread though)

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I've never thrown away an old computer. Gave my first Mac, a Performa 575, to my sister-in-law, and she still has it. Next up was a PM 7200/75, which was donated to work when I bought a PM G3 266/DT. Sold that one to work when I bought the iMac G4/800, which I still have. When I replace that, it'll go to my mom for iPhoto and email. She uses an original iMac G3 right now.

7. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I think when you hear that I still have a 286...and a couple Apple IIe's , you'll know that I don't throw out computers. But I did dispose of an old HP 266 one time, it got stripped of all good parts and then my friend took it. I don't know what he ended up doing with it, he was going to use the case to build a new computer in. I like reusing things and using old computers for things. There are a few practical uses for old computers. Mostly just using them for file servers/web servers etc.

8. joetronic macrumors 6502

If it is still in working order I try to donate it to a local youth house, shelter, rescue mission, or anywhere else it would be used for the community. Other that that I take it to the co-op in Gettysburg PA for it to go to needy familys. Here is it used for parts to make funcional computers. They have a program that is trying to have every family with children in the community have a computer and internet access. They also take any type of computer equipment needed for internet access (ie; ethernet cables, phone cables, phone spliters and the like.) This way I know its being used. I work for Technology Services in the Carroll County MD public school system and have a recent problem with the computer recyceling company just dumping them in the landfill when they said they were being "properly disposed of." Needless to say, we don't use that company anymore.

I appologize for the lengthy response. I tend to be very wordy.

9. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Sounds good, keep em' coming, I need some more results.

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

our very first Mac was the Performa 630CD, which my mom still uses to this day :) ! We then received a free PC so used that w/ windows ME (feh) and gave that away to friends when I got another free PC with XP from a friend. Thankfully I will be making a switch back to the good guys when i leave for college (suped up PB woot).

So really: keep the macs, throw / give away PCs :p

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I make sure mine go to good homes where they'll be loved and cherished.

12. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Let's try this:

BEN

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If I have a decent computer worth over $150 I sell it on ebay. If the computer is worth less I give it to a friend. If its a broken Apple and not worth repairing I will recycle it in my recycling container and hope waste management does the right thing. If its a broken PC not worth repairing I bring it to the trap range for some target practice :D

14. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

When i was working in spain, we dumped the old pc, batteries, etc in a recycle park as well.

15. Norouzi macrumors 6502

My first computer was a 386 Packard Bell. That I gave to my brother which ended up being video taped being droped from a bridge and hitting the ground. Very satisfying. My second computer was an 8600, this I also gave to my brother when I got a G4 this was not droped off a bridge and is still in my parents house, not sure if it's being used anymore. My current G4 is still in use and will be donated to one organasation or another once I get a new Mac.

16. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I either give them away (my brother got my last one to play with) or I just move it down into the basement where I keep a dedicated computer gaveyard. Sounds a bit weird, but I have some issues with throwing things away. I have this idea that it might come in handy some day...and that day will of course never arrive.

17. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

i still have my first performa 6116, actually i bought a cable just this past week to "revive" it. My manager from work gave me like 5 really old macs, and a couploe of those i donated to some family members in mexico so they could learn how to use a computer and not worry about it breaking or anything like that. and right now i have a dual 800 but my older bro will be taking that when he moves out in about a month and a half. so i will have to get another mac.

18. Crikey macrumors 6502

I live in the U.S.A. I have never heard that RadioShack has a computer recycling program. I am a little skeptical, since RadioShack has changed from a company targeting and employing geeks to a company targeting typical consumers and employing high school kids or those just graduated, and they don't seem to carry that much computer stuff any more. This is my own unscientific observation from one or two local stores in malls.

I did some research a few years ago about the ecological destructiveness of simply trashing old computer equipment and I make an effort to find ways to reuse or properly recycle "e-waste". I found a local organization called the Lane County Computer Reuse and Recycling Center ( http://www.macrenewal.org/ ) that seems to have similar priorities and to have done their homework about ecologically responsible ways of recycling gear than can't be re-used.

I hope the folks that currently would consider simply trashing their old computers will find a similar service in their own communities. There are too many pollutants on our planet already, and electronic waste contains some nasty stuff. This goes as well for the digital pack rats with every old computer they ever owned piled in a closet or garage -- for a while I did that. Sooner or later you'll get tired of it, and when you do, please dispose of it properly.

Crikey