computers, history, math, english schools - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 19, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

how about poly sci, psychology, sociology, biology, journalism, teaching, physics, law, business, music, engineering, etc etc

this is a take on the graphic design/art school thread ;)...i chose the big five of the new yrok area or nearby but if i had to take one school for traditional fine art, it would be rhode island school of design and if it were commecial art with an emphasis on high tech and computers, i would choose school of visual arts

for liberal arts, i like amherst if i had just "one" choice for a school to attend
    MIT for math, physics, and engineering
    stanford for computer science
    cal berkeley for chemistry, biology, psychology, and sociology
    harvard for law, business, history, and political science
    julliard for music
    columbia for journalism and teaching

thoughts?
    -assume you have the grades and money is no object for tuition ;)

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

MIT for Engineering, Physics
    Caltech for Science
    Harvard for Law
    Cambridge for Education

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that's right durandal, i forgot to mention cal tech, and it's in my state

if i had to stay within california, i would stay with about five well known schools, stanford and usc at the top of the list for most majors, then cal berkeley and ucla as alternates, then cal tech for special science and engineering degrees

4. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Stanford is better than Berkeley in Psychology, and probably slightly better in computer science, but Berkeley is still an excellent school, too - and much more fun and relaxed than Stanford, plus a much nicer place to live.

On the other hand, Silicon Valley is better if you want to work in industry while pursuing your degree, and Stanford has fantastic collaborations with many of the big players in Silicon Valley. But I'd still rather live in Berkeley, it's just so pretty and fun, and so much closer to San Francisco.

Regarding other schools in CA - other than those you've mentioned already, don't forget UC San Diego, which is yet another excellent University.

Regarding compuyter science, I recommend the following schools (though there are many, many more great programs!):

Definitely MIT media lab, especially Ishii's Tangible Bits group, though the Media Lab has suffered huge budget cuts recently.
    Stanford, CalTech, GeorgiaTech, Carnegie Mellon, Michigan State, Berkeley, UNC (Chapel Hill), UCLA. NYU is actually quite good, too, especially in Computer Graphics.

5. iGav macrumors G3

MIT Lab for all round crazy cool sh*t.... ;)

Over here the RCA is one of the de-facto for design.... both Graphic, IPD and Automotive.

Coventry has one of the best Transport design courses in the World.

Westminister is pretty cool too especially for the Hypermedia MA which I would love to do.

Ravensbourne has a solid rep for design.

And Central St Martins has an excellent Fashion and Textiles course.

Oxbridge holds less water than a sieve if you ask me... all hype...

Not sure about non-creative courses though!!

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

my wife liked how she thought stanford lived up to the ivy league reputation and level back east, but she also agrees that she loves the whole vibe of berkeley and surrounding area better (in some ways)

and what is great is how bay area rapid transit from berkeley just zips under the bay and puts you in downtown sf so quickly...i had a friend of mine go to golden gate in downtown sf but she lived next to uc berkeley and the bart train was her lifeline...sf is the place to party, but if you decide to stay in berkeley for the weekend, it's not bad either

my wife and i wondered what we would do for entertainment if we decided upon stanford for grad school...of course, being stanford, i can't imagine that either one of us would actually have that much free time anyway so it may not even matter what the "night" life would be like for us...where we live now, in monterey co., it is very, very boring and there is very little to do...unless you love to play golf:p

7. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

It's very doable to live in SF and commute down to Stanford.
    That's what I did for about 4-5 years, no regrets.
    The drive down on 280 is scenic and pretty, and takes just about
    35-40 minutes door-to-door (including parking on campus, etc) if you pick your location in SF strategically close to 280 (I had a quaint old house with backyard in the Outer Mission area).

Life on weekends was a big cocktail party - I made friends with the Survival Research Laboratories folks and lots of other interesting people, went to cool offbeat art events, etc. Of course, during the week, most of what you do is work, but living in SF and studying at Stanford is a great combination. I felt that having my own fun, relaxed, artsy life up in SF gave me the strength to be all business while at Stanford. Highly recommend it.

Living in Silicon Valley is a boring drag, even the nicer areas are pretty sterile compared to SF (I guess I wouldn't say no to Steve-o's $ 16 million house on Santa Rita in PA, but even that neighborhood is kinda boring).

Just for fun though, I think I'll take my child trick-or-treating to Steve Job's house this year :D

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i guess that is the best of both worlds and i wasn't aware that sf/mission st was so close to stanford...that's a great combination

i love sf and went to school at ggu on mission st and i would love to live there since monterey county is terribly slow and the job market is slow...but it always has been so nobody from mo co ever complains

the sterile feeling of silicon valley now is due to the quick growth and lack of city planning...who would have thought that an oversized agricultural town would turn into a city bigger than san francisco? when i was a kid, i remember the highway running thru san jose and all the fruit stands...not unlike gilroy today...pretty much the only major computer presence in those days was hp and they were generally known by the public for their calculators more than anything

the oldtimers of northern california are not too happy in the growth of san jose and the bay area, but we are glad that is has brought some jobs and a more open minded cosmopolitain vibe to the region

ps...i hope your kid gets to meet steve jobs...you can also drive over to the mountains and go to steve wozniak's place:D