computers/ neuroscience/ math

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Mar 16, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

hey I am good with computers and neuroscience or math. I have 55 upper division credits and am taking a fifth year. I can work with PC's and Macs and know a lot about them. I have gotten into differential equasions. Would it be good to work with a company that works well with this? That is one thing that I am interested in.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It is always good to work for a company that works well with what you enjoy!

However, have you considered a PhD and research? There is very exciting work going on in the modeling of, say, receptor activity using complex differential equations. Of course, you would have to learn quite a bit more math, but hey, that's what graduate school is for! You wouldn't have to learn it all, because you could collaborate with a mathematician, or alternatively, become a mathematician and collaborate with a neuroscientist.

Personally, I find electrophysiology to be an atrociously difficult and tedious task experimentally and far more love the joys of the biochemistry of neural activity, but everyone is different.

Edit: Also, artificial intelligence...? If you had truly superior knowledge of neuroscience, mathematics, and computer science, there would be some very cushy jobs out there for you in AI research. This is especially true if you had a mastery of psychology and its underlying phsyiological mechanisms.

3. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

hey yea I am still trying to sort out though about about working at Silicone Graphcis Internatinal, they came to our lab over the summer. does anyone know about that company? i can work with mac and pc's and do both:

http://www.sgi.com/

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

What would you be doing there? It seems pretty clear that you'll have to put your love of neuroscience to the side if you go there...

If things were exactly as you pleased, where would you be a year from now? Five years? Ten years? Figuring these things out will help you stay on track and seek out the sorts of opportunities that will get you to your goal.

5. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

I think it would be cool first to be able to go to graduate school and then go to SGI after.

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Do you know what kind of stuff you could do at SGI? What do you want to go to grad school for? What are you working on in the lab? Just curious!

7. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

nah but the conversation was about HIPPA and the release of paitent data, so I guess I can't tell but we talked about ways of backing up data and how to connet reserach being done at MRI Labs together all in one place. It's down in mountain view california.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Make sure to get a friend to check the spelling on your resume before you send anything out. You seem to have trouble making it through one post, much less a sentence, without misspelling at least one word.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

HIPAA (the act) says very little about how to wrangle IT to be 'secure' when dealing with patient health information. It's mostly left up to the health enterprises to each re-invent the wheel, which is a shame. But then the Fed tries really hard to bury it's head in the sand over IT issues.

SGI used to be the **** for graphics and graphical rendering. But with expensive machines and slow moving technology they knocked themselves right out of the market (nearly). At this point desktop Macs and PCs can compete with their 'workstations' for a fraction of the cost.

BTW, SGI has nothing to do with Macs or PCs. They make their own boxes and have their own flavor of UNIX-like OS.

10. RacerX macrumors 65832

Silicon Graphics Inc. is a pretty nice company. I own three SGI workstations and have always loved them.

As the company stands right now, it has two major divisions: clusters/distributed computing and visual workstations. On the clusters/distributed computing end, they have linked themselves to Itanium and Linux technologies. Their workstations are still based on MIPS processors and IRIX (an actual UNIX operating system). Both MIPS and IRIX are fast approaching the end of their respective road maps and the company hasn't spelled out anything for the future for their workstation line.

As for working with their workstations, I wouldn't believe that it would be that hard for any current Mac user to work with the current version of IRIX (6.5.27 as I recall).

As for what you would run into while working there... I have no idea. I wouldn't listen too much to speculation from people not familiar with the company though (sort of like listening to PC pundents about Apple ;) ). SGI has always been about underlying technologies in the area of visualization and they have never been a user friendly company (they focus on enterprise and government scale customers, not individuals and small companies).

If you search the web you'll find that there is a very strong SGI hobbyist community which SGI... tolerates.

This is something that you should really look into more yourself. Asking in a Mac forum about SGI is almost as bad as asking about Apple in a PC forum. Even a daily SGI user like myself can't give you a good representation. I have my own reasons for working with SGI systems and that works for me... and has little to do with anything currently happening at SGI.

11. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

about a post

I did make this previous post about Silicone Graphics Inerternational, (SGI) and they said to go to go a PC forum, but I do not want to open up a new account at another one. I realized what happened when this company came to our lab over the summer. I was able to develop a plan that changed their concept of how they were going to connect MRI Magnetic Resonance Imaging Labs together, and I can work with Mac and PC computers. In a ten minuite conversation I had with them I developed and created a full proposal to that company without any advance notice. As I have also stated earlier, I want to become a doctor, but I realize I have some reall tallent with computers here, I can actually joke about them to, and do more than Microsoft Word, but I also want to do reserach. Some staff want me go after this job, can anyone give me information on this company, and can they tell me if this is something that makes sense to do?

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Breast implants?