Computrace Lo Jack For Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisFromCanada, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

In July Computrace launched Lo Jack for Laptops for Mac, a theft solution. I was wondering if anyone had tried it and can tell me how well it works. My concern is that it is simple phone home software that can easily be eliminated by a OS reinstall.

Your input is appreciated.

2. ChrisFromCanada thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I emailed Computrace's Tech support and figured out more about how it works. The email is as follows:

So my conclusion is that if my Apple Laptop is stolen and gets into the hands of anyone with any kind of Apple Know How its game over. Not the most useful product ever IMO.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I know there is another product out there that is similar in function, and it was discussed around here recently. I'll try and dig it up.

In the meantime, you can essentially disable formatting by using the Open Firmware Password on your Mac, which disallows startup from CD or any other disk without entering a password. This would prevent them from wiping your Mac.

The tech guy at the place wasn't real helpful (or "salesy"). I like the way he essentially admits he thinks the product is not extremely useful. :rolleyes: