CONAN O'BRIEN TO TAKE OVER 'TONIGHT SHOW' IN '09

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Waluigi, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Waluigi macrumors 6502

source

Edit: Second source (CNN)

2. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I just read this a few minutes ago.

I am happy that they are keeping conan on nbc and eventually giving him the tonight show. There had been rumors of him taking over after letterman if this had not gone through.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Best news ever! (wait, they didn't announce iPod G5s?)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im not a huge Leno fan, but i love Conan so im happy to hear this!

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not a fan of either. Wonder if Leno will be able to get off the stage like Johnny Carson. Others need to follow his lead.

6. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I like conan's self-depricating humor. I also like the skits because they are just so ridiculous and pointless. The show was better when andy richter was still on it.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I love Conan and think he deserves the Tonight Show, but will the Tonight audience which is usually older adults get the humor. Conan managed to survive because being on at 12:35 you can take risks and I wonder if he will have to tone down his material for 11:30. Plus will Max tag along or do we have to deal with Kevin.

8. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

I am so happy to hear this! Conan O'Brien is the funnist guy on TV!!! :) :) :)

9. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I agree, this is amazing news. I am a huge Conan fan, but I wonder how the tonight show audience will respond to him...

10. starcrossed macrumors regular

Great news for Conan, since I'm a big fan of his show, and can't stand the blah humor of Jay Leno's Tonight Show. I know Conan is allowed to get away with much of his humor because it is late at night, but hopefully by 2009 the network will allow him to keep that at an earlier time slot, without forcing him to turn it down a notch.

11. pckilla macrumors member

CONAN is definelty my favorite of the nite shows...but he better keep max and get rid of kevin u :D

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

13. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I agree with all the above and actually wonder why they don't make the swap sooner. Leno is disappointing, at best.

Does anyone remember the hub-bub surrounding the initial announcement that Conan would take over the slot he now occupies?

Of course, Letterman had been in that slot until NBC shafted him by giving Leno the Carson gig.

Conan was a relative nobody - writer at SNL - and he wasn't well received early on.

Nice to see him doing so well and I think the audience will be cool with him. Letterman was just as quirky in his day when he moved to the 11:35 slot on CBS and his audience just tuned in an hour earlier.

14. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well i like both jay and conan, each differently sometimes conans stuff isnt that great and jay gets flat too;but i love triumph the insult dog cant wait to get more of him

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What I like about Conan is that he's genuinely funny. Has anyone ever heard his stand-up act? Its funnier than his show, so the humour that goes into his show, as good as it is, isn't even as good as what Conan can do.

And as Conan was the head writer of The Simpsons at it's peak, I think NBC have a winner.

Actually, this was a no-brainer to begin with. When Leno was thinking about retirement a few years ago, Conan was thought to take over. Who else could do it, right? Then Leno renewed his contract and Conan was still at the 12:30 time slot and was fine with that, probably because he knew that he would get the 11:30 slot.....it was just a matter of waiting it out.

17. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Conan's my favorite of late night tv, but I also like Letterman too. I remember the recent thread about Conan doing the Walker Texas Ranger clips :D :D I'm sure Conan may have to bring his material down a little for the audience, like, maybe they won't be able to do the masterbating bear anymore :rolleyes: :D

18. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Off topic

This is off-topic, but I just noticed ABSTRACT's signature line and have a question - If you fart and no one is there to hear it, does it still SMELL? :D

19. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Eh, I always liked Craig Killborn better than Conan...

20. craigdawg macrumors 6502

This poses a problem, for me at least, in 2009. Will I have called the satellite guy to finally put a multiswitch on my DirecTV TiVo so I can record both programs simultaneously? It's been on my mind for over a year now...

21. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

conan will do wonderful things with the time slot. it's nice to see groundbreaking, innovative comedy getting respect. the real question is who do you look to groom for the late nite slot once conan takes over the tonight show? carson daily is a name-dropping tool with zero charisma and no interviewing skills.

if it was next year, i'd say dave chappelle, but who knows what his staying power will be. how about jon stewart? sara silverman? amy sedaris?

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

off-topic

well you are there to smell and hear it so yes it does!!!

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Awesome Awesome Awesome

Jay is such a talentless hack. I'll be glad when he's gone!

Also, this means that Conan will be on earlier. 12:30 is just too late for people that have to be up at 6am...

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Kilborn had some good stuff but after a while it got stale. Conan keeps reinventing his show especially after Andy left he managed to hold it together solo. Although I do miss the staring contests