Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
TV audiences thought they'd have to wait until at least fall 2010 to enjoy the wisecracks of former "Tonight Show" host Conan O'Brien . Turns out they only had to wait until Wednesday of this week, when Conan took to Twitter to share a piece of his signature self-deprecating sense of humor:

"Today I interviewed a squirrel in my backyard and then threw to commercial. Somebody help me."

And with that 140-character-or-less quip, Conan became one of the most popular topics on Twitter and its surrounding media. He amassed over 270,000 followers in his first day on Twitter -- a number that increased by more than 10,000 in just the hour it took to compose this piece, and has likely increased exponentially since then. Twittercounter predicts O'Brien will pass one million followers in just nine days.

Full Story

Interviewed a squirrel, HA, that's great. A Conan comedy tour would be a huge success right now. As they say, "strike while the iron is hot".

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Really? Funny?

After his second Tweet, I stopped following him. Shrug.

His 2nd Tweet said:
This morning I watched Remington Steele while eating Sugar Smacks out of a salad bowl. I was naked.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If it is anything like following that whiny little bitch Kevin Smith then it can't be fun to have your twitter feed dominated by someone beating a dead horse.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If it is anything like following that whiny little bitch Kevin Smith then it can't be fun to have your twitter feed dominated by someone beating a dead horse.
I followed Smith for a day and it was too much. Conan's should be better. I'd rather have 1 tweet a week vs 500 a day.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
What's the difference between Conan twittering asinine stuff like that and your average joe? Oh, yeah, he's Conan. :rolleyes:

I don't get why people get so hyped up on celebrities posting drivel. It's probly a ghost writer (ghost twitterer?) anyways.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What's the difference between Conan twittering asinine stuff like that and your average joe? Oh, yeah, he's Conan. :rolleyes:

I don't get why people get so hyped up on celebrities posting drivel. It's probly a ghost writer (ghost twitterer?) anyways.

That too is true. I guess coming from LA I am not all that star struck.
Take me to Wrigley Field for my first time and see what happens ... now that's giddy!

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland

Conan has written episodes of the Simpsons and I believe he was involved in other stuff. The guy has talent when it comes to these things.

That was pretty nifty.

MacHipster

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago/London/Sydney
Conan has written episodes of the Simpsons and I believe he was involved in other stuff. The guy has talent when it comes to these things.

He was editor of The Harvard Lampoon, if I recall. He also wrote for Not Necessarily the News and was the head writer for SNL during its artistic peak of the late 80s and early 90s. The man doesn't need a ghostwriter for Twitter; that's just an idiotic assumption.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007

Somehow, I think my point still stands that his first two tweets were drivel - not talent. :)
But I'm apparently 'an idiot' so I guess I wouldn't get the humour anyway. :rolleyes:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Somehow, I think my point still stands that his first two tweets were drivel - not talent. :)

QFT.

He's just not very funny anymore and I was a huge fan for many years when he was on at 12:30.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
^^Exactly. I'm not saying he's not funny, and from what you read he's certainly capable of writing good stuff, but those tweets are just dumb. I like him better than Leno, but he's not quite like he was, no.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
He was editor of The Harvard Lampoon, if I recall. He also wrote for Not Necessarily the News and was the head writer for SNL during its artistic peak of the late 80s and early 90s. The man doesn't need a ghostwriter for Twitter; that's just an idiotic assumption.

He also has a ton of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.